Green .Mount Cemetery Montpellier

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  Green .Mount Cemetery Montpellier

Postby adam.rosen » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:31 am

IMG_20161118_112232059.jpg

Nearly 14 feet

This cemetery was laid out in 1855.  The memorial speech at its opening refers to "soon to be shaded paths." A history of Montpelier indicates that this hillside and this part of the Winooski valley contained pines like the in New Hampshire, and, had the revolution not occurred, they would have gone to the royal navy.  By 1855, there was nothing but open land anywhere around Montpelier.

The second growth pines planted here are some of the larger pines I have seen.  They would fit in with the large trees on a college campus or park in Pennsylvania, new York or Massachusetts.  I have taken two CBH here, on is close to 14 feet.

It is a very beautiful cemetery.  On a steep hill side overlooking the Winooski river, it has a view down the valley. 160 years of Montpelier gentry lay beneath creative and ornate monuments.  The paths are lined with pine and maple.  The maples are gnarled and getting hoary and interesting, the pines seem to keep on growing!  There are a dozen or so lining the original cemetery lay out.  The bark has developed that lizard like scaly look that only happens when pines get old.

These trees are 30 years older than the Vermont record holders in marsh billings.  They are half as old as the towering old growth in 1680 Grove in Paul Smith's New York.  It's fun learning about the extent of second growth forest.
Attachments
IMG_20161115_084204179.jpg
Scaly bark
IMG_20161118_111201340_HDR.jpg
IMG_20161118_111340262.jpg
IMG_20161118_112406604.jpg
I measured the tree on the right

For this message the author adam.rosen has received Likes - 2:
edfrank, Rand
adam.rosen

Has Liked: 0 times
Has Been Liked: 21 times
Print view this post

#2)  Re: Green .Mount Cemetery Montpellier

Postby edfrank » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:37 pm

I am happy to see some more tree reports coming out of Vermont.  Thanks.
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky
edfrank
Site Admin

{ IMAGES }: 0
Has Liked: 915 times
Has Been Liked: 703 times
Blog: View Blog (3)
Print view this post

Return to Vermont