Marsh-billings-Rockefeller National Historic Park Project

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#11)  Re: Marsh-billings-Rockefeller National Historic Park Projec

Postby Erik Danielsen » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:16 am

Given that the scars occur so uniformly on both the maples I'd be inclined to suspect they resulted from interaction with a wire fence at some point in the past. They do seem to be present in a bit of a "boundary zone."
Erik Danielsen

Has Liked: 244 times
Has Been Liked: 312 times
Print view this post

#12)  Re: Marsh-billings-Rockefeller National Historic Park Projec

Postby ElijahW » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:12 am

Erik Danielsen wrote:Given that the scars occur so uniformly on both the maples I'd be inclined to suspect they resulted from interaction with a wire fence at some point in the past. They do seem to be present in a bit of a "boundary zone."

I'll second that, Erik.  Both maples appear to have the same scar pattern at the same height:  three lines in parallel.  Barbed wire fences are often three or four strands at about that height, and that's what I suspect is the cause, though it could also be a wooden plank fence.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks
ElijahW

Has Liked: 209 times
Has Been Liked: 268 times
Print view this post

#13)  Re: Marsh-billings-Rockefeller National Historic Park Projec

Postby Joe » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:48 am

adam.rosen wrote:Are those old skid scars, or sleigh scars, on the left side maple?

wild guess, but I suggest they indicate where some sort of fence ran along the trees way back....
Joe
Joe

Has Liked: 0 times
Has Been Liked: 171 times
Print view this post

#14)  Re: Marsh-billings-Rockefeller National Historic Park Projec

Postby adam.rosen » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:52 pm

Fall is pretty spectacular this year.  Not too late for a trip to Vermont.  Lots of nice places here.
adam.rosen

Has Been Liked: 21 times
Print view this post

#15)  Re: Marsh-billings-Rockefeller National Historic Park Projec

Postby adam.rosen » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:22 pm

hemlock at Marsh Billings, one of them.jpg

[attachment=1]

I was at Marsh Billings again this past week.  I was able to see the champion white pine tree, and walk more of the trails there.  In addition to the abundant second growth pines and spruces, the site hosts a variety of aged hemlock trees.  Some date to the early plantation plantings, and I was able to count 137 rings on a small specimen.  

There are hemlock and maple trees at what appears nearly the maximum height for their species in this location.  I have attached two photographs, not for the height of the trees, but the length of the bole.  The top one is of a hemlock, below is a maple.  A hemlock inventory of the north side of the park might yield a dozen or so OG hemlock.

I surveyed one that had broken off at about a 30 foot snap.  I paced off each section of down and dead hemlock--it was like an old style photo of OG logging from 100 years ago.  This tree had over 60 feet of limbless branches.  The only comparable "mess" I have ever seen was a blowdown in the Elder's Grove in the Adirondaks.

I would enjoy the opportunity to survey and see the hemlocks and maples at Marsh Billings--I suspect there are many 100 footers, at least, in this park.
Attachments
March Billings Canopy Maple.jpg
adam.rosen

Has Been Liked: 21 times
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Vermont