Marsh-Billings-Rockerfelle National Historic Park

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Marsh-Billings-Rockerfelle National Historic Park

Post by dbhguru » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:31 pm

NTS,

Monica and I stopped at the Marsh-Billings-Rockerfeller National Historic Park in Woodstock, VT this afternoon on our way back from Plattsburgh, NY. The plan was to rendezvous with one of the park rangers and look at trees on what is a managed forest that dates back into the 1880s. We didn't have much time, so I had to be quick. It is a unique property, I'm told, in the National Park System. I immediately saw that there were some impressive trees growing in the Park. I started by re-measuring the state champion Norway spruce for them which is at the headquarters. It is impressive. It measures 12.5 feet around and is 128.0 feet tall. The old measurement was 124.0 feet. But the taped distance was to the trunk and the high point is behind the tree in the direction of measurement. I took one image, but blew the picture. Here it is anyway. Monica is in it for scale.
NorwaySpruceChamp.jpg
After measuring the champ, I was ready to see the plantation spruce. To cut to the chase. In the short period I had, I measured only a few, but got one to 134.5 feet in height. Many of the Norways in the oldest plantation are over 120 feet. I very seriously doubt that I'll find a Norway that reaches 140.

After the Norways, I then measured several European larches to between 100 and 110 feet. I spotted skinny, tall one and got 126.0 feet. I will return and do more thorough job, but don't expect to break 130 on that species. We then went to a knoll near the headquarters that had the largest pines I saw on the property. They date to around 1880. I got three slightly over 130 feet in height. I didn't have much time so I'm unsure if I got their highest tops. Then I measured a white pine growing down the hill that looked tall and got 141.8 feet. That's the best I was able to do, but I was satisfied.

A solid partnership is developing with the Park. Lots of work to do that, but NTS should get some good publicity. Lots of important people and organizations go there. We'll be doing some programs for the Park in the future.

Tomorrow, I'll have images of Lake Champlain.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Will Blozan

Re: Marsh-Billings-Rockerfelle National Historic Park

Post by Will Blozan » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:05 pm

Bob,

Really impressive spruce! I do hope you can get more time to scout as it sounds like the site has more potential. Any decent hardwoods?

Will

Return to “Vermont”