Cambridge Pines Natural area

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  Cambridge Pines Natural area

Postby adam.rosen » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:34 pm

I've got photos here from an excursion fairly far north in Vermont.  Unfortunately, no height data.  There was one really nice, wolfy old pine, and many, many second growth pine that seemed well on their way.  The tree I photographed here has lots of lower branches, indicating, to me, that it grew up in a pasture.  It is adjacent to a cemetery that dates back to 1800, so, I date the tree to that date or so.  14 feet around seems impressive to me, expecially as we are on the banks of Lamoille River here, 40 miles from Canada.

There also were some fine hemlocks in this stand, and my notes tell me that this other specimen was a hemlock.  I wouldn't trust that completely, and i think I need some assistants who are older than 12 to help me out.  Either way, I'd like to return to this spot for some more measurements.
Attachments
measured a smaller hemlock.  138 circ.jpg
My notes tell me that I was measuring a hemlock in this photo. I'd like to go back and check! That would be a fine specimen indeed!
DSCN1299.jpg
better view of this entire tree, with some puny humans for perspective.
DSCN1268.jpg
same tree, another view.
163 inches in circumfrance.jpg
This is the largest pine in the Cambridge pines natural area.
adam.rosen

Has Liked: 0 times
Has Been Liked: 21 times
Print view this post

#2)  Re: Cambridge Pines Natural area

Postby James Parton » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:23 am

14 feet around is pretty impressive for a white pine! I myself have only found one bigger than that. Impressive!
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145
James Parton

Has Liked: 338 times
Has Been Liked: 98 times
Print view this post

#3)  Re: Cambridge Pines Natural area

Postby greenent22 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:45 am

adam.rosen wrote:I've got photos here from an excursion fairly far north in Vermont.  Unfortunately, no height data.  There was one really nice, wolfy old pine, and many, many second growth pine that seemed well on their way.  The tree I photographed here has lots of lower branches, indicating, to me, that it grew up in a pasture.  It is adjacent to a cemetery that dates back to 1800, so, I date the tree to that date or so.  14 feet around seems impressive to me, expecially as we are on the banks of Lamoille River here, 40 miles from Canada.

There also were some fine hemlocks in this stand, and my notes tell me that this other specimen was a hemlock.  I wouldn't trust that completely, and i think I need some assistants who are older than 12 to help me out.  Either way, I'd like to return to this spot for some more measurements.

Impressive tree! The first photo with the girls walking up towards it makes it look like 6.5'-7' DBH.
greenent22

Has Liked: 52 times
Has Been Liked: 28 times
Print view this post

Return to Vermont