Moab Mama

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Moab Mama

Post by dbhguru » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:30 am

NTS

So far, i haven't had many encounters with notable trees. Lots of magnificent scenery, but the big trees have largely alluded me. However, I struck pay dirt in Moab. In a field along a fence line, I saw some large trunks of Fremont cottonwoods. Unfortunately, they were on the other side of a barbed wire fence, with an electric strand at the top and no trespassing signs. But I had a monocular and made use of it. The big sucker below measures 7.35 feet in width, which likely translates to between 22 and 24 feet in girth. I have no idea how far out of round the trunk is. The height is only 62.5 feet, but this is a desert, so trees will be short.

Here is the best I could do for a photograph. I used an iPad app to increase brightness. The result is a little grainy.
image.jpg
Just beyond this cottonwood grows another large one, just at 20 feet in girth. A third one that I could get to measures approximately 18 feet around. A large mass of tumbleweed surrounded much of the trunk and there were thorny shrubs all around as well. Nonetheless, t was gratifying to know that large, short cottonwoods can grow even in a desert environment. I'm reminded of the Villanueva, NM.

Well, it is off to Durango and the old growth dedication with Joan Maloof tomorrow and tree hunting with Larry Tucei. Way cool.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Larry Tucei

Re: Moab Mama

Post by Larry Tucei » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:19 pm

Bob, NTS, Wow! 20 footers! You don't see them often. I just got in Durango and right away noticed some nice city trees, nothing that big though! Flew over the fires north and east of Durango- got a good look at that one. Windy here and that's not helping much. Another big fire is near East Spanish Peak threatening ranches, also the big one taking over 250 homes at Colorado Springs. Talked to one guy on the flight that was on his way to assist them here. http://durangoherald.com/article/201306 ... South-Fork Larry

dbhguru

Re: Moab Mama

Post by dbhguru » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:10 pm

Larry,

I hope the fires will be brought under control Poor people. So far the Durango area has been spared. See you tomorrow.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Return to “Utah”