Somewhere ......

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Don

Re: Somewhere ......

Post by Don » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:27 pm

They're so ephemeral, those rainbows...at the end of a long day while working on North Rim of Grand Canyon, near Cape Royal, we were drawn to Royal Point, as sunset and a storm neared. Its normally a fifteen minute walk, but we made it in ten, to see the storm front just overtaking the edge of the South Rim. The alignment of the sun and the clouds, and the curve of the Canyon as it changes cardinal bearings from nearly South to nearly North created an unusual rainbow (at least in my experience) as it completed a circular rainbow.
We quickly grabbed our cameras out of our daypacks and attempted to capture it...only to find that we'd have needed a very wide angle lens, and our point and shoot cameras weren't up to the task.
Well, it did get permanently inscribed in our memories, as did the thunder and lightning storm that soon chased us back to our work vehicle, with several very nearby, simultaneous thunder and lightning downstrikes (we made the return trip in five minutes!). August on the North Rim, in the middle of the Monsoon season is often a humbling time, the power of the elements there are often heartstopping.

Thanks Ed for thinking of the beautiful original version of "Somewhere...", one of my favorites!
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org

Joe

Post by Joe » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:30 pm

Don wrote:it completed a circular rainbow.
back in the '60s and '70s? yuh, I saw some interesting things back then too... (ha, ha, ha)
Joe

Don

Post by Don » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:04 pm

Joe wrote:
Don wrote:it completed a circular rainbow.
back in the '60s and '70s? yuh, I saw some interesting things back then too... (ha, ha, ha)
Joe
Joe-
I do recall two other unusual variations of rainbows, and yup, they were from the 60's.
Well almost, in 1971 I was in Yosemite Valley in the off-season (it had by then been visited by too many brownie-eating Easterners (J) during the summer), and I had gone to visit Yosemite Falls, having heard about the 'snowcone' that falling ice crystals created at the base of the Falls. It was to be a full or almost full moon that night, so I'd gone in pretty late and dressed accordingly.
What I saw (and only once again later, in Kentucky at Cumberland Falls) was a "moonbow". The angles were just right and the moon bright enough that it created a 'moonbow' with the falling ice crystals.
Life back then seemed more serendipitous...while I was visiting Yosemite (for almost a week), I had found an abandoned camera. A film-type camera (620 or 126, I forget), it was an old Voigtlander, the kind that opened up with bellows and stretched out on a 'track'. I didn't know at the time whether it was still able to take pictures, but having no other camera at the time, I had nothing to lose by loading it with film and taking pictures.
I did take pictures with it (they were rather grainy, might have been some pinholes in the bellows?), and several of the 'moonbow'. The camera, I still have it. The pictures? I think so, in closeted shoeboxes (transient as I was in those years, it was hard to keep hold of possessions, but I managed to retain almost all of the images I captured over the years).
Other sunlight/atmospheric refracting events I've captured? You're probably familiar with what I call 'sundogs'? They're refracted light from a thin cloud layer often slightly above the horizon usually in the late afternoon, and occur at equal distance from the sun (like a short segment of a rainbow,perpendicular to a line drawn through the sun). You know, as if the rainbow could complete...: > }
I recently captured a variation on a sundog, that I've seldom seen and only recently captured. I do have it and will attach here...it runs vertically up from where the sun would be, and in the case here reflects off of Lake Vinuela.
Sundog over Lake Vinuela.jpg
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org

Return to “Utah”