Somewhere ......

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Somewhere ......

Post by dbhguru » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:44 am

NTS

As Monica and I traveled north from Dinosaur NM, across the southern Uintas and down to Flaming Gorge, we looked for a place to spend the night. A motel with cabins in Manila, Utah served the purpose. Our cabin was spacious. After getting set up, we went out on a deck and low and behold observed the following scene.
Rainbow-a.jpg
The people in the adjoining cabin were out snapping pictures and exclaiming. Both ends were visible. That meant two pots of gold. But alas, someone else must have grabbed them.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Rand

Re: Somewhere ......

Post by Rand » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:54 am

dbhguru wrote:NTS

The people in the adjoining cabin were out snapping pictures and exclaiming. Both ends were visible. That meant two pots of gold. But alas, someone else must have grabbed them.

Bob
I hear the trick is to get to the spot while the rainbow is still shining on it.... ;)

Anyway. Once when I was growing up I saw a double rainbow that was perhaps a little brighter than that. An amazing sight.

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:06 am

Rand,

The main and subordinate rainbows were brighter, especially the main one. My photography failed to capture their vividness.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:26 am

Bob, Your rainbow photo is beautiful and captured the moment forever. Larry

Joe

Post by Joe » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:34 am

dbhguru wrote:Rand,

The main and subordinate rainbows were brighter, especially the main one. My photography failed to capture their vividness.

Bob
wow, multiple rainbows! that surely means the Great Spirit, Wanka Tanka, is looking kindly on you and Monica!

I once saw a full rainbow from end to end- one of the last times I was at my last home in Machu Pichu (Peru, Mass.) I had always believe you couldn't see the entire thing, at least in mountain country. I took that to mean that my move in with my honey was blessed by the Great Spirit.
Joe

Rand

Post by Rand » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:56 am

dbhguru wrote:Rand,

Bob
That's a bummer. I hate it when that happens. I chased a rainbow at the Black Canyon of the Gunnison that had faded by the time I got a good angle on it. The light started out good:
IMG_1159.jpg
Then I saw a rainbow, but the light shifted by the time I found a good place to get out of my car and get a good angle on it:
IMG_1162.jpg

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:41 pm

Rand,

Even so, you captured a remarkable color pattern - a predominately red rainbow. There's a song in there somewhere.

Larry,

Later the sky turned many shades of pink, lavender, red, etc. We looked upon the event as a blessing as Joe did for the Machu Pichu, MA rainbow. Rainbows and flaming skies are just way cool.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:29 pm

Somewhere over the Rainbow
by Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwoʻole

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1bFr2SWP1I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1bFr2SWP1I

check it out

Edward Frank

[Repost]
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:19 pm

Ed,

He almost fits under that rainbow I photographed.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:42 pm

Israel "IZ" Kaʻanoʻi Kamakawiwoʻole

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel_Kamakawiwo%CA%BBole

Israel "IZ" Kaʻanoʻi Kamakawiwoʻole (Hawaiian pronunciation: [kaˌmakaˌʋiwoˈʔole]; May 20, 1959 – June 26, 1997), also called Bruddah Iz ("Brother Iz"), was a Hawaiian musician.

He became famous outside Hawaii when his album Facing Future was released in 1993. His medley of "Over the Rainbow" and "What a Wonderful World" was subsequently featured in several films, television programs, and television advertisement commercials.

Through his ukulele playing and incorporation of other genres (such as jazz and reggae), Kamakawiwoʻole's music remains a very strong influence in Hawaiian music.

Kamakawiwoʻole was known for promoting Hawaiian rights and Hawaiian independence, both through his lyrics, which often stated the case for independence directly, and his life. His song Hawai'i '78 demonstrates the beliefs and hopes that he had for the people of Hawai’i: the life of this land is the life of the people, and that to care for the land is to care for the Hawaiian culture. The state motto of Hawai'i is a recurring line in the song and encompasses the meaning of Iz's message: Ua Mau ke Ea o ka ʻĀina i ka Pono (Roughly translated: The life of the land is perpetuated in righteousness).

Throughout his life, Kamakawiwoʻole was obese and at one point weighed 757 pounds (343 kg; 54.1 st) standing 6-foot-2-inch (1.88 m) tall (BMI = 97.05 kg/m²). He endured several hospitalizations because of problems caused by his obesity. Beset with respiratory and other medical problems, he died in Queen's Medical Center at 12:18 a.m. on June 26, 1997. Kamakawiwoʻole is survived by his widow, Marlene Kamakawiwoʻole, and their daughter, Ceslie-Ann "Wehi".

The Hawaii state flag flew at half-staff on July 10, 1997, the day of Kamakawiwoʻole's funeral. His koa wood coffin lay in state at the state capitol building in Honolulu. He was the third person in Hawaiian history to be awarded this honor, and the only one who was not a government official. Approximately ten thousand people attended the funeral. Thousands of fans gathered as his ashes were scattered into the Pacific Ocean at Mākua Beach on July 12, 1997. The funeral and the scattering of Kamakawiwoʻole's ashes were featured in the official music video of "Over the Rainbow" released posthumously by Mountain Apple Company; as of June 2012, the video as featured on YouTube has garnered over 70 million views.

"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Return to “Utah”