Can anyone identify this tree species?

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  Can anyone identify this tree species?

Postby samson'sseed » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:26 am

I found several specimens of this tree along the Little River in Townsend, Tennessee next to a wedding chapel.

I looked through my field guides and can't find a match for it.

What species of tree is this?  I didn't take a photo of the bark...just the leaves and flowers.

IMG_0926.JPG

IMG_0926.JPG

samson'sseed

Has Liked: 20 times
Has Been Liked: 28 times
Print view this post

#2)  Re: Can anyone identify this tree species?

Postby Rand » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:29 am

Definitely a basswood (Tilia)  I'm guessing white basswoood (Tilia Heterophylla / Tilia americana var. heterophylla) based on how white and fuzzy the undersides of the leaves look.

Being near a chapel there is a chance it is planted non-native linden species, and I'm not-so-swift with those.  Little leaf linden (T. cordata) is commonly planted around Columbus, but it doesn't seem to be that one because the flowers of that species project above the little leaflet they are mounted on.

For this message the author Rand has received Likes :
samson'sseed
Rand

Has Liked: 262 times
Has Been Liked: 369 times
Print view this post

#3)  Re: Can anyone identify this tree species?

Postby Rand » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:47 am

Found a key for distinguishing the native species:

Variation within the species:
North American basswoods have been separated into many species (usually three or four) or treated as several varieties within only a single species. “Given the inconstancy of most vegetative and reproductive characters [of North American basswood], the ecophenic, ecotypic, and seasonal variation in vestiture, and also the probability of introgression,” trichome morphology provides the best evidence for recognizing the component taxa (see Hardin 1990).
a. Tilia americana var. americana
synonym: Tilia neglecta Spach

b. Tilia americana var. heterophylla (Vent.) Loud.
synonym: Tilia heterophylla Vent.
synonym: Tilia michauxii Nutt.

c. Tilia americana var. caroliniana (P. Mill.) Castigl.
synonym: Tilia caroliniana P. Mill. synonym: Tilia floridana Small

The varieties of Tilia americana intergrade, but in their typical forms are separated as follows:
a. Leaves green beneath, sometimes glaucous, glabrous or sparsely hairy with simple trichomes, sometimes with a few stellate ones. var. americana
a. Leaves pale or whitish beneath from the close tomentum of dense, sessile-stellate trichomes, sometimes glabrate with age but remaining stellate- pubescent at least along the major veins. (b)

b. Young twigs tomentose or tomentose-hirsute; clusters of hairs on leaves more than 0.5 mm wide.
var. caroliniana
b. Young twigs glabrous; clusters of hairs on leaves less than 0.5 mm wide. var. heterophylla

https://plants.usda.gov/plantguide/pdf/cs_tiamc.pdf

For this message the author Rand has received Likes :
samson'sseed
Rand

Has Liked: 262 times
Has Been Liked: 369 times
Print view this post

#4)  Re: Can anyone identify this tree species?

Postby ElijahW » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:10 pm

Samson,

Looks like Tilia spp. var. fishing line.  I'm not familiar with White Basswood, but that would be my guess.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

For this message the author ElijahW has received Likes :
samson'sseed
ElijahW

Has Liked: 209 times
Has Been Liked: 252 times
Print view this post

#5)  Re: Can anyone identify this tree species?

Postby samson'sseed » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:10 am

Rand wrote:Definitely a basswood (Tilia)  I'm guessing white basswoood (Tilia Heterophylla / Tilia americana var. heterophylla) based on how white and fuzzy the undersides of the leaves look.

Being near a chapel there is a chance it is planted non-native linden species, and I'm not-so-swift with those.  Little leaf linden (T. cordata) is commonly planted around Columbus, but it doesn't seem to be that one because the flowers of that species project above the little leaflet they are mounted on.

Thanks for helping me learn this species.

Not many basswood trees near where I live in Augusta, Georgia.
samson'sseed

Has Liked: 20 times
Has Been Liked: 28 times
Print view this post

#6)  Re: Can anyone identify this tree species?

Postby bbeduhn » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:36 pm

My guess is the silver leaved linden. It has a silvery underside. The leaves appear rather small for Tilia heterophylla, and I doubt it would be planted along a stream. If not silver leaved linden, likely another European linden.
bbeduhn

Has Liked: 1096 times
Has Been Liked: 468 times
Print view this post

Return to Tennessee