State Champion Holly and Sugarberry

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Tyler

State Champion Holly and Sugarberry

Post by Tyler » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:56 pm

ENTS,

I stopped by Congaree last weekend to explore Pine Island as well as measure a couple of champion trees to update the state list. First was the american holly.
State Champion American Holly
6' 11" X 81'

Spread 55.5' Max 48' Avg

If you check the South Carolina Champion Tree Site you can see that the holly was a multi trunked tree with two smaller hollies growing out of the larger trunk. One of the smaller trees inflated the circumference of the main tree. Sometime over the last 8 yrs this smaller tree has died and rotted away so the circumference can now be taken at 4.5'.
Next was the state champion sugarberry. This tree is only a short walk from where the low boardwalk turns into the weston loop trail.
State Champion Sugarberry
State Champion Sugarberry
13' 4" X 109.4'

Spread 72' Max 69' Avg

I'll report on Pine Island tomorrow.

Tyler

Will Blozan

Re: State Champion Holly and Sugarberry

Post by Will Blozan » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:59 pm

Tyler,

Great trees! BTW, one of the sugarberries we (Riddle, Eichholtz, Blozan) found by the river in 2006 ties that tree at 300 points. 156" X 131' X 54'.

Will

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:47 pm

Tyler,

When I think of Congaree, Holly comes to mind. Will, myself, Larry and several of us others measured some hollies in Congaree to 97 feet tall with comparable if not slightly larger girths than this one. But I don't think we measured spread on many of em'. By any opinion that " state " holly is huge!

I am overdue on a visit to Congaree and I will have to remember to check out that huge Sugarberry.
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

Marcas

Post by Marcas » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:47 pm

Hey Tyler,
Great photos
Will Blozan wrote:Tyler,

Great trees! BTW, one of the sugarberries we (Riddle, Eichholtz, Blozan) found by the river in 2006 ties that tree at 300 points. 156" X 131' X 54'.

Will
I saw both I think the one will is talking about it's taller but the state is state champ is so close to the boardwalk and is every healthy hope to see it grow alot more!
Tyler give me a call I would love to go out with you tomorrow knowing someone else than me love the Congaree trees (803-955-0865) Home 803-673-7364 Cell
Who speaks for the Trees? WE ALL DO!

Return to “South Carolina”