Question about Watersheds.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

edfrank

Re: Question about Watersheds.

Post by edfrank » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:54 am

After all what is the worst that could happen if someone was caught illegally? I bet trespassing on a city's watershed could be construed to be an act of terrorism. I am sure the penchant to trespass is something that "extraordinary rendition" and "waterboarding" would be able to fix...
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Marcas

Post by Marcas » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:19 am

James,
The county said long has we fill out the info we could hike any location, meaning there two water shed areas that are off-limits. They need to know the number of people what location, how many days and we would have a employee with us tagging along. The county seem very informal and up-key and gave me a name of a worker that is very knowledgeable.
Who speaks for the Trees? WE ALL DO!

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:33 am

Ed,
You're right on track about trespassing in a closed watershed being construed as an act of terrorism. In Asheville, it can be considered as such. Obviously, it wouldn't be enforced as such for simple trespassing but you could be put through the wringer. At the Asheville watershed, there was a $200 fine prior to 9-11. It was upped to $2,000 for simple trespassing and $10,000 for other activities, ie constructing a four wheeler trail within the watershed's limits, very far away from the water, but within limits. Of course, they have to catch you and get an ID. A fleet-footed person should have no trouble escaping but the risk is there. Definitely, get the permit and follow the regulations.
Brian

james loftis

Post by james loftis » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:42 pm

I would love to try and get in on this, and I know of a fellow tree climber who would as well. We both work in Greenville, SC and day-dream of the hidden giants we know are lurking in the hills of our horizon. Furthermore, I go to a lake house every year on Lake Sheila in Saluda, NC, that backs right up on the watershed property. The watershed is a pretty un-touched/ hasn't been touched in a while, place. Not to mention, it looks fairly rugged. If it is rugged enough it would be the kind of place they would've had a hard time logging...this would really seal the deal. But really, don't know anything about the history of the alloted land. Still, I can see there being some dendro-lunkers in there.

TN_Tree_Man

Post by TN_Tree_Man » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:21 pm

James-

You are not related to Dr. David Loftis with the US Forest Service by chance? Dr. Loftis used to work out of the Bent Creek Experimental Station outside of Asheville, NC.

Steve Springer
"One can always identify a dogwood tree by it's bark."

Return to “South Carolina”