Question about Watersheds.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

jamesrobertsmith

Question about Watersheds.

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:20 pm

We had a brief conversation back at the old site about the Greenville Watershed, which the city of Greenville SC protects with a really rabid ferocity. Whenever I'm up on Table Rock Mountain on those cliffs and looking into the watershed, I can't help but feel certain that the place HAS to be packed with some great old growth stands.

My question is this: What's the worst they could do if they caught you trespassing on the watershed?

Steve Galehouse

Re: Question about Watersheds.

Post by Steve Galehouse » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:30 pm

My question is this: What's the worst they could do if they caught you trespassing on the watershed?
They would probably waterboard you...
every plant is native somewhere

Rand

Post by Rand » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:25 pm

Steve Galehouse wrote:
They would probably waterboard you...
And if you were exceptionally lucky, you would still be in this country when they did.

Though seriously, what is the going fine for being caught in a nature preserve or what have you? I've never been caught just yet.

jamesrobertsmith

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:09 am

One of my friends was hiking on the only official trail through the Greenville watershed and he actually encountered an armed officer patrolling it! Some of the state park trails skirt the watershed and when you look down into it...well, it just looks like there are some wonderful grand trees in there waiting to be discovered.

Marcas

Post by Marcas » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:11 pm

It sound like I need to be calling some fellow park ranger to see if there a way to get a permit to hike in the watershed.
Who speaks for the Trees? WE ALL DO!

Steve Galehouse

Post by Steve Galehouse » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:20 pm

James-

As I'm sure you know, I was facetious in my first reply. I would explore at will, and if confronted, would just say something like "I got turned around, and didn't know I was trespassing". I don't think any authority would challenge someone hiking and looking at trees. But then we are shifting to a Republican government, so who knows?

Steve
every plant is native somewhere

Joe

Post by Joe » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:59 pm

I suppose it depends on the community. Right after 9-11, state troopers were posted on the large Quabbin Watershed that provides water to Boston. Getting caught by those guys might be a problem- they're all 7' tall and look like storm troopers. (ha, ha)

Though I'm sure most rural watersheds have no reason to fear terrorists or other destructive people- so I wouldn't worry much about it.
Joe

Marcas

Post by Marcas » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:57 am

Ent's,
I did some calling around to Grenville county and Nature Conservancy to gain access to the watershed I'm waiting on a call back. If they do let us go in who would be willing to help with gather data?

Marcas

Post by Marcas » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:17 pm

James, Steve
I got the info to gain access we need to pick a date and who going and get the final approval to measure trees in the watershed.

jamesrobertsmith

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:33 pm

Did they mention any limitations? Could we hike anywhere we wanted to go? The official trail they have going through the watershed is, from what I've heard, pretty lame.

Return to “South Carolina”