Middleton and Angel Oaks

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

eliahd24

Middleton and Angel Oaks

Post by eliahd24 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:49 pm

Hello all,
I had a fantastic trip to Charleston this weekend and got updated measurements on both the Angel Oak and Middleton Oak (and I found another biggie). Sidney Frazier (head horticulturalist) was kind enough to show me the Middleton Oak and share some if it's history (he's worked there since the 70's). Really neat stuff. Here are the data first:
charleston oaks.JPG
The Middleton Oak has shown zero growth in circumference since the climb of 2006. It has shown an increase in circumference of 8.75" since 2002, when it was updated on the SC Champion Tree list. Though numerous major limbs were lost in 2008, it still has a decent spread. Height is roughly 2' less than the 2006 numbers (I only took one quick measurement). Despite the loss of limbs/volume, the tree has gained "big tree points" at 489 points. Mr. Frazier noted that the cavity in the tree was filled with concrete in the 1950's or 1960's- I wonder if this could contribute to its decline? He also noted that a pipe was sticking about 18" out of the trunk back in 1974 when he started and was swallowed up entirely by the trunk by the mid-1990's. I have to wonder if the tree is really in decline at this point. I'm also curious to the age (as we all are).

The Angel Oak is quite a bit larger than the listed signage at the site (see picture). It's listed as 25.5' CBH at the site; actual circumference is 28' 3.75". The most impressive feature of this tree is the limbs. Longest spread was 160' and the longest limb (tip to trunk) was 105' (much larger than listed on the sign at 89')!

The third oak listed is probably 2 separate trees or 2 trunks, though still impressive. It was 36.5' CBH @ 4.5' above grade, but the narrowest spot below the branch flaring dropped CBH to 31.1'. Still a biggie.

Vic- you can use these numbers to update the Middleton Oak on the state list. Larry- feel free to add these to your live oak database. Will- feel free to share this information with BVP or any other interested persons and I will post on the ENTS bulletin board as well.

Thanks again Mr. Frazier for allowing me access to the tree and sharing your knowledge!

~Eli

Eli Dickerson
Environmental Education Programs Coordinator
Fernbank Museum, Atlanta, GA
(404) 403-0822
MPA candidate, nonprofit administration

James Parton

Re: Middleton and Angel Oaks

Post by James Parton » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:15 pm

Eli,

Awesome Live Oak data. I have always wondered on the dimensions of the Angel Oak. I last saw it back in 2007 and to thought it to be a bit bigger than it's official signage indicates. It is probably the most beautiful single tree I have seen to date and that says something.

Larry Tucei will find this data useful for inclusion on the ENTS Live Oak Project.
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

eliahd24

Post by eliahd24 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:21 am

You're right James- it really is a beautiful tree. Development is fast encroaching and there's only a 150' buffer that has been designated to protect the tree. It's pretty scary. I'm sure the forest around it plays a major role in keeping that tree alive and protecting those extremely gorgeous long limbs.

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:10 am

Yes, I signed a petition some time back to protect the tree.
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:18 pm

Eli, Awesome stuff! That 180' spread on the Angel Oak makes it the #1 of all Oaks measured. The #2 Spread is 177' on the E. O. Hunt Oak. The Middleton Oak is still a great tree, even with missing limbs, 32" 8" is huge! The Oakdale Oak 31' also is very impressive. Anytime a Live Oak reaches such size they are somewhere around 250-300 years! I'll have to come up and see them for myself sometime in the future. I'm updating the Live Oak Listing and will post it when complete. Larry

eliahd24

Post by eliahd24 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:00 pm

Thanks really amazing Larry- I had no idea! Next time I'm down I'll be sure to get a 2nd spread measurement and take extra care to make sure it's accurate to the nearest foot. I was just using my laser this time. Fascinating!

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:24 pm

ENTS, An updated Live Oak listing now at 156 trees! Larry
Live_Oak_Project_20101227.xlsx
(31.53 KiB) Downloaded 150 times

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:57 pm

Larry,

This is a remarkable achievement. The wide spread distribution of the big live oaks greatly exceeds what most of us would ever have ever expected. Keep up the good work.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Marcas

Post by Marcas » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:23 am

There was a house fire at Middleton Plantation not the Plantation House.
http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2010 ... d-by-fire/
Who speaks for the Trees? WE ALL DO!

eliahd24

Post by eliahd24 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:42 pm

Middleton Live Oak - video from late fall 2010:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRyB_E2DJts

~Eli

Return to “South Carolina”