Who is using LiDAR?

Reports and articles related to remote sensing, LIDAR, GIS, and other mapping applications.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

edfrank

Who is using LiDAR?

Post by edfrank » Sun May 13, 2012 9:56 pm

NTS,

I am trying tomfigure out who in the group is using LiDAR to look at tree sites. These are the people I can recall:

Jess Riddle
Paul Jost
Steve Galehouse
Steve Halow
Ian Brekheimer
Josh Kelly
Rand Brown
Michael Davie
Will Blozan
Dan Reed

Who else is using the LiDAR that is missing from my list?

Ed Frank
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

M.W.Taylor
Site Admin

Re: Who is using LiDAR?

Post by M.W.Taylor » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:24 pm

Ed,
I use LiDAR frequently. I've got a huge set of LiDAR maps.

Michael Taylor
edfrank wrote:NTS,

I am trying tomfigure out who in the group is using LiDAR to look at tree sites. These are the people I can recall:

Jess Riddle
Paul Jost
Steve Galehouse
Steve Halow
Ian Brekheimer
Josh Kelly
Rand Brown
Michael Davie
Will Blozan
Dan Reed

Who else is using the LiDAR that is missing from my list?

Ed Frank

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:51 pm

Ed,

I haven't used LiDAR extensively, but thanks to the instructions from Steve and Rand I've used it for several sites in OH and IN.

Matt

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:31 pm

Matt,

Have you and the others involved created LIDAR maps for Fort Hill?

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:48 pm

edfrank wrote:Matt,

Have you and the others involved created LIDAR maps for Fort Hill?

Ed
Ed,

Rand and I both created LiDAR maps for Fort Hill before we visited the site last February (http://www.ents-bbs.org/viewtopic.php?f=111&t=6128). Over the next couple days I want to review the data and also check LiDAR on some nearby sites.

Matt

Rand

Post by Rand » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:23 pm

We didn't get to all the hot spots. In particular there was a south facing valley that will hopefully give us some different species than we measured previously. Also there were several very large, old tulips above the gorge that ought to be measured. And lets not forget the gigantic sycamore.

pdbrandt

Post by pdbrandt » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:35 pm

Hi Ed,

I have the LIDAR dataset for NC and have used it to find trees in the Piedmont and in GSMNP. I use QGIS to view the data.
Patrick

John Harvey

Post by John Harvey » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:50 pm

I suppose I will use this platform to ask a few questions as I've been looking into using LIDAR recently. There is a website for New Jersey and one for Pennsylvania where you can send away a USB drive and thy will fill it for you. I think NJ is free and PA charges per GB.

My questions are these; What program can I use to run these files? Can they open overtop of Google Earth or on my GPS? What files on these websites should I request? I'm sure not all of them would be helpful. I've seen photos online of some of these files up close over top of towns where all of the trees are red and in the highest height bracket. Can I adjust this as to set my own height parameters? Below are the two sites. Thanks a bunch.

https://njgin.state.nj.us/NJ_NJGINExplo ... p?pg=lidar

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/topogeo/pam ... /index.htm
John D Harvey (JohnnyDJersey)

East Coast and West Coast Big Tree Hunter

"If you look closely at a tree you'll notice it's knots and dead branches, just like our bodies. What we learn is that beauty and imperfection go together wonderfully." - Matt Fox

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:58 pm

Rand wrote:We didn't get to all the hot spots. In particular there was a south facing valley that will hopefully give us some different species than we measured previously. Also there were several very large, old tulips above the gorge that ought to be measured. And lets not forget the gigantic sycamore.
Rand,

I made a phone call today and got permission for us to walk over to the adjacent youth camp to check out that huge sycamore.

Matt

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:58 pm

JohnnyDJersey wrote:I suppose I will use this platform to ask a few questions as I've been looking into using LIDAR recently. There is a website for New Jersey and one for Pennsylvania where you can send away a USB drive and thy will fill it for you. I think NJ is free and PA charges per GB.

My questions are these; What program can I use to run these files? Can they open overtop of Google Earth or on my GPS? What files on these websites should I request? I'm sure not all of them would be helpful. I've seen photos online of some of these files up close over top of towns where all of the trees are red and in the highest height bracket. Can I adjust this as to set my own height parameters? Below are the two sites. Thanks a bunch.

https://njgin.state.nj.us/NJ_NJGINExplo ... p?pg=lidar

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/topogeo/pam ... /index.htm
John,

The thread explaining how to pull LiDAR for Ohio was very helpful to me for both Ohio and Indiana. If you can find the same file types on the PA or NJ website, then the Fusion software should work. Towards the end of the thread, it will explain how to pull GPS coordinates. I haven't set height parameters myself, but it's very easy to zoom in to the tallest hits for the purposes of getting GPS coordinates.

Thanks to Steve and Rand for all their help in the thread: http://www.ents-bbs.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2262

Matt

Return to “Remote Sensing, LIDAR, and GIS”