Old 1919 Images of trees/forests throughout PA, from "Seeing Pennsylvania", By John Faris

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

BeeEnvironment2020

Old 1919 Images of trees/forests throughout PA, from "Seeing Pennsylvania", By John Faris

Post by BeeEnvironment2020 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:29 pm

Ents,

Here are many old photographs from 1919 depicting the mountains/forests/trees/beautiful areas of Pennsylvania, from the book "Seeing Pennsylvania" by John T. Faris.

Some of these photos are really indeed beautiful, and some even show old-growth forests, such at Buck Hills Falls, and other places.
Let me know if anyone has any questions or wants more info about certain photos.
The DE Water Gap in 1919. I believe it is known as Mount Marcy
The DE Water Gap in 1919. I believe it is known as Mount Marcy
Buck Hill Falls on a creek in the poconos. Apparently has some old-growth seen in the background
Buck Hill Falls on a creek in the poconos. Apparently has some old-growth seen in the background
UPDATE: As I was reading a copy of "Penn's Woods 1682-1932", I discovered that Edward Wildman reported about the forest at Buck Hill Falls, and how the site showed quite a few old-growth trees. Here is his description as in the book:
In the glen at Buck Hill Falls, eleven miles east, there are several hemlock trees which may well be 250 years old [germinated in 1682 or before] or more. The largest measures ten feet, six inches at breast height, and two others are more than 9 feet.
So this site may have many impressive trees now days, if the Hemlocks have not been killed by HWA
Sugar Maple Avenue in Echo Lake, PA. According to the book, these maples were planted in 1872. I don't know if they still exist today.
Sugar Maple Avenue in Echo Lake, PA. According to the book, these maples were planted in 1872. I don't know if they still exist today.
Another View of the DE water gap
Another View of the DE water gap
Waterfall on Dingman's Creek in the Poconos. Maybe surrounded by Old-Growth?
Waterfall on Dingman's Creek in the Poconos. Maybe surrounded by Old-Growth?
DeWaterGap-min.jpg
PecksDamPikeCounty-min.jpg
Here you can see the forested hills and landscape
Here you can see the forested hills and landscape
Beautiful Scenery!
Beautiful Scenery!
HorseShoeCurve-min.jpg
Near Jim Thorpe
Near Jim Thorpe
Jim Thorpe in 1919. Appears to have had plenty of mature forest
Jim Thorpe in 1919. Appears to have had plenty of mature forest
Here is a description of some 22 waterfalls located near Jim Thorpe (then called Mauch Chunk). Anyone have any idea if they still exist today?
JimThorpeWaterfalls.jpg
Glen Onoko
Glen Onoko
Last edited by BeeEnvironment2020 on Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BeeEnvironment2020

Re: Old 1919 Images of trees/forests throughout PA, from "Seeing Pennsylvania", By John Faris

Post by BeeEnvironment2020 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:46 pm

I encountered a few photographs of what looks like old-growth forests, mostly surrounding creeks. Here are them below:
The "Conoquonessing River" in Beaver County. On some of the slopes there appears to be quite some tall trees. Maybe OG? Notice the 2 people on some of the rocks.
The "Conoquonessing River" in Beaver County. On some of the slopes there appears to be quite some tall trees. Maybe OG? Notice the 2 people on some of the rocks.
"Jordan Run", in Erie County PA. There appears to have been some impressive pines and hemlocks there.
"Jordan Run", in Erie County PA. There appears to have been some impressive pines and hemlocks there.
Above, the Jordan Run photograph of the woods and creek puzzles me. I was unable to find the creek on google maps. However, after a bit of time searching, I believe that the name of Jordan Run was changed to Fourmile Creek, and that this photograph was taken in Wintergreen Gorge.
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.1134729,-79.9874579,3a,87.1y,190.85h,77.53t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1sAF1QipPojHexsCt961mAP2MCCfFlsmyHFpjVfFNvAAqD!2e10!3e11!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipPojHexsCt961mAP2MCCfFlsmyHFpjVfFNvAAqD%3Dw203-h100-k-no-pi-0-ya200.88142-ro0-fo100!7i7460!8i3730 click the google maps link to see a nearly identical perspective to that of the 1919 "Jordan Run" photo.
Do you think it was taken in the same place?

OverTheHillsAndFarAway-min.jpg
A ravine near Pittsburgh
A ravine near Pittsburgh
MercerCountyRoad-min.jpg
Last edited by BeeEnvironment2020 on Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BeeEnvironment2020

Re: Old 1919 Images of trees/forests throughout PA, from "Seeing Pennsylvania", By John Faris

Post by BeeEnvironment2020 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:09 pm

BelleFontePAMountains.jpg
I looked at google earth imagery, and not much has changed north of Bellefonte, see https://www.google.com/maps/@40.9235707,-77.7795863,3a,75y,351.14h,84.63t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sdRt9FJz4QEcfXqEccGT1bA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656. The building with a square top is still there!
Logging the virgin and old-growth woods in Forest County
Logging the virgin and old-growth woods in Forest County
RidgwayBridge-min.jpg
Looks to have had mature forest in 1919
Looks to have had mature forest in 1919
Here is the Sinnemahoning River. In the back mountains you can see that the forest was logged.
Here is the Sinnemahoning River. In the back mountains you can see that the forest was logged.
There is no mature tree in sight! Logging was harsh in these areas.
There is no mature tree in sight! Logging was harsh in these areas.
Notice the car and the tall, mature (Maybe Old-Growth?) White Pines in the background.
Notice the car and the tall, mature (Maybe Old-Growth?) White Pines in the background.
The beautiful Juniata River. Former U.S president Jimmy Carter has said it was one of the most beautiful rivers on earth that he ever saw!
The beautiful Juniata River. Former U.S president Jimmy Carter has said it was one of the most beautiful rivers on earth that he ever saw!

Return to “Pennsylvania”