Return to Cook Forest

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Return to Cook Forest

Post by dbhguru » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:44 pm

Hi All,

Monica and I are threading our way back to Massachusetts. Today we stopped by Cook Forest State Park to see Naturalist and Educational Director Dale Luthringer and re-measure the Longfellow Pine. It was Sparky's opportunity to have the final word on Longfellow's height. Here it is. The Longfellow Pine is 183.2 feet tall. So sayeth Sparky. I also measured a gorgeous Norway Spruce at the HQ. It is a solid 132 feet tall.

We'll be planning a big get together at Cook Forest scheduled for April 15-17, 2015. It will be a combined event to include a National Cadre certification workshop. Don and I, with input from others of you, have a lot of work to do. I'll be giving details in weeks to come. And then, hopefully, we'll follow up the Cook Forest event with another gathering in Durango, CO in July or August. It will also include a National Cadre workshop. Big stuff brewing.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Erik Danielsen

Re: Return to Cook Forest

Post by Erik Danielsen » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:27 pm

As I was not in a position to travel to Durango this year but have been following intently here on the boards, I'm thrilled to hear that there'll be a gathering so close to home this coming spring. That may be the first time I'll get to Cook Forest as well- can't wait to see what will probably be my first 180'+ eastern tree!

tomhoward

Post by tomhoward » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:09 am

NTS,

My brother Jack Howard and I plan to visit Cook Forest, the first time for both of us, Wed. Aug. 20. We're looking forward to seeing the great Pines, and especially the Longfellow Pine.

Tom Howard

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:15 pm

Tom,

Give me a call. I could meet you guys up there if you are interested. I have a dentist appointment at 10, but after that I am free.
814-661-6701

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Return to “Pennsylvania”