Rockaway Beach Cedar Wetlands Preserve - Home of the Rockaway Cedar

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

cggordon

Rockaway Beach Cedar Wetlands Preserve - Home of the Rockaway Cedar

Post by cggordon » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:58 pm

During my July 2020 trip to the Oregon coast, we visited the Cedar Wetland Preserve in Rockaway Beach. This small preserve protects one of the few remaining areas of "coastal bog" habitat in the state. It also holds an impressive Western Red Cedar specimen, known as the Rockaway Cedar or "Big Tree", which for a few years (before the discovery and measurement of the Arcadia Cedar) was considered the largest such tree in the state.

The preserve recently completed an approximately 1 mile elevated wooden trail through the bog ending at the Big Tree. They also have a new parking lot right off of Hwy 101 with room for about 8 cars. The trail is quiet, peaceful, and quite interesting. Salmon berries are ever present, and as one moves further east into the preserve, the bog transitions to soiled forest, where the large cedars can be found. Large Sitka Spruce are found throughout, with specimens 6'-8' in diameter common. I noted several cedars near the end of the trail with apparent diameters of roughly 8'-10'. Very healthy looking old growth. But nothing else really rivals the Big Tree. The new elevated trail and railing system can seem a bit out of place by the Big Tree itself, but hopefully it helps to protect the tree, the underlying soil and forest in general.

Rockaway Cedar stats:
588" CBH (app. 15.5' DBH)
154' in Height
Total American Forest ("AF") Points 756

I would recommend the visit. Great for young kids. Probably not any other giants hidden in this preserve, but a nice small slice of healthy old growth.
Attachments
Rockaway Cedar aka "Big Tree"
Rockaway Cedar aka "Big Tree"
Standing in front of the Rockaway Cedar
Standing in front of the Rockaway Cedar
Coastal Bog in Cedar Wetlands Preserve
Coastal Bog in Cedar Wetlands Preserve

Return to “Oregon”