Arcadia Cedar: Current Oregon Champ Western Red Cedar

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

cggordon

Arcadia Cedar: Current Oregon Champ Western Red Cedar

Post by cggordon » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:22 pm

Arcadia Cedar stats:
640 inches CBH (approximately 17 ft DBH)
152 feet in height
70 ft Average Crown Spread
Total American Forests ("AF") Points: 810

I think it's fitting that the current OR state Western Red Cedar get a little love on the Native Tree Society BBS. Located just a bit south from Cannon Beach on a tiny isolated parcel of Clatsop State Forest Land across the highway from Arcadia Beach wayside, this small old growth pocket, featuring several large cedars including the champ, gives a small peak into what hundreds of square miles of coastal Oregon once must have looked like.

I've visited the tree a few times now. It was the short, very minor bushwhack to visit the tree that probably eventually led me to this site and now joining it. Despite my many years hiking through the forests of Oregon, I'd never come close to seeing old growth cedars like the ones in this grove. They are unfortunately very rare now on the Oregon coast. But visiting the Arcadia Cedar does instill a sense of wonder, and I recommend that anyone nearby make the effort to reach it. While the short hike to the grove might be a bit ugly (ruins of an old car, trash, etc.) once you enter, it's quite beautiful. I've taken young kids out to see it, so I think it is generally a "family friendly" endeavor. The few use-trails through the grove are easy to follow.

And the tree hasn't been known to the greater tree community for very long -- I think about only 10 years. Back then, the Big Bottom Cedar was considered the largest cedar in Oregon (only 626 AF points!). Then for a few years the Rockaway Big Cedar (756 AF points) was considered the champ. Now it is the Arcadia Cedar. But, it is my goal now to try and find a bigger one. Hopefully its out there, but there aren't too many 800+ point cedars anymore.

It should be noted that some call this tree the "largest tree in Oregon". According to the Oregon Champion Tree Registry ("OCTR") now managed by Ascending the Giants, it is. But this is not truly the case. As discussed on this BBS by Zane Moore in the "Largest Tree in Oregon" topic, there are at least several Coast Redwoods in far southern Oregon that are larger. (I agree with the general consensus on this site of keeping specific Coast Redwood tree locations secret to protect the tree and immediate environment, including not nominating said trees for the OCTR.)

But the fact that the Arcadia Cedar is merely the largest Western Red Cedar in Oregon in no way diminishes this tree. We can just call it the largest (known) tree in northern Oregon.

-CG
Attachments
Arcadia Cedar with my family in 2016
Arcadia Cedar with my family in 2016
Close up of trunk and family
Close up of trunk and family
Credit to Lloyd Bros. for Pics and Dimensions
Credit to Lloyd Bros. for Pics and Dimensions

Return to “Oregon”