Oregons largest tree?

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#11)  Re: Oregons largest tree?

Postby yofoghorn » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:45 am

mdvaden wrote:
Zane, there's good chance I may be around the Oregon redwood this year. So I was curious about your thoughts on the redwood and the location. On my own redwood's discover page, I noted that my new notable discoveries will not be revealed at all. But I mainly meant like world records. State records I may mention, but keep the park or location under wraps.

So for this redwood found up in Oregon, or say another one in that neck of the woods, do you think its best not to mention the specific park, creek, road, etc.. How specific do you think is okay to provide? Like the county? Or a bit more detailed.?

I plan on absolutely no mention of redwood tree find locations in Oregon. They are all technically in Curry County and should all be in the Rogue-Siskiyou National Forest simply by definition of an old-growth redwood in Oregon. There are not many old-growth redwood forests in Oregon, making any of these tree finds possibly vulnerable. The groves, however, are fairly hard to distinguish on satellite and could be potentially hard to figure out in regards to location.
Zane J. Moore
Plant Biology PhD Student
University of California, Davis
yofoghorn

Has Liked: 27 times
Has Been Liked: 93 times
Print view this post

#12)  Re: Oregons largest tree?

Postby mdvaden » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:25 am

yofoghorn wrote:
I plan on absolutely no mention of redwood tree find locations in Oregon. They are all technically in Curry County and should all be in the Rogue-Siskiyou National Forest simply by definition of an old-growth redwood in Oregon. There are not many old-growth redwood forests in Oregon, making any of these tree finds possibly vulnerable. The groves, however, are fairly hard to distinguish on satellite and could be potentially hard to figure out in regards to location.

Okay ... so if I encounter that one or another, I will just refer to Curry County.

Doubt I will find a northernmost, but if I find one, I may just relay it to you.

Heck, who knows where some new surprise may show up.

M. D. Vaden of Oregon >>> http://www.mdvaden.com

Over 200 Pages of Redwoods >>> http://www.mdvaden.com/grove_of_titans.shtml
mdvaden

Has Liked: 6 times
Has Been Liked: 209 times
Print view this post

#13)  Re: Oregons largest tree?

Postby darvellloyd » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:43 pm

mdvaden wrote:
yofoghorn wrote:A redwood tree has been discovered in Oregon that quickly jumps to the top largest tree known in Oregon! The tree is 18.5' DBH, 298' tall (tallest known redwood in Oregon), and approximately 17000 cubic feet! The discovery of this tree makes Oregon a new large-redwood frontier. John Montague, Steve Moore, and I all feel like we've barely scratched the surface of the large Oregon redwoods!

Zane, there's good chance I may be around the Oregon redwood this year. So I was curious about your thoughts on the redwood and the location. On my own redwood's discover page, I noted that my new notable discoveries will not be revealed at all. But I mainly meant like world records. State records I may mention, but keep the park or location under wraps.

So for this redwood found up in Oregon, or say another one in that neck of the woods, do you think its best not to mention the specific park, creek, road, etc.. How specific do you think is okay to provide? Like the county? Or a bit more detailed.?

Wow, this is surprising news for us big-tree nuts!  Any response from the 'Ascending the Giants' folks?  I imagine they would like to climb and measure it.  The last we knew, the western redcedar near Arcadia Beach was Oregon's largest tree (810 pts., nearly 17 ft. in dam., but only 152 ft. tall).  Darryl and I would love to photograph the big redwood, but we would not divulge its location.
darvellloyd

Has Liked: 1 times
Has Been Liked: 4 times
Blog: View Blog (2)
Print view this post

#14)  Re: Oregons largest tree?

Postby darvellloyd » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:54 pm

Wow, this is surprising news for us big-tree nuts!  Any response from the 'Ascending the Giants' folks?  I imagine they would like to climb and measure it.  The last we knew, the western redcedar near Arcadia Beach was Oregon's largest tree (810 pts., nearly 17 ft. in dam., but only 152 ft. tall).  Darryl and I would love to photograph the big redwood, but we would not divulge its location.
darvellloyd

Print view this post

#15)  Re: Oregons largest tree?

Postby mdvaden » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:32 pm

darvellloyd wrote:Wow, this is surprising news for us big-tree nuts!  Any response from the 'Ascending the Giants' folks?  I imagine they would like to climb and measure it.  The last we knew, the western redcedar near Arcadia Beach was Oregon's largest tree (810 pts., nearly 17 ft. in dam., but only 152 ft. tall).  Darryl and I would love to photograph the big redwood, but we would not divulge its location.

Ascending the Giants are among the last people  we should tell about any future trees they have not seen.

On this spruce page, beyond the failure to measure correctly, I gave a heads up about how they voiced the idea of giving away locations.

LINK > http://www.mdvaden.com/klootchy_spruce.shtml

Also ...

I would question  tree measurements done by ATG after watching them do the two spruce trees shown at that link. Plus, I think Zane may be very interested in real tree size, not just points alone. He can probably get a good estimate from the ground. Height needs no climber anymore for a lot of these trees.

mdvaden

Print view this post

#16)  Re: Oregons largest tree?

Postby yofoghorn » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:11 am

As far as points, this tree totals approximately 928 (916 for diameter and height, 12 approximately for crown spread that was not accurately measured). I am hesitant about giving out the tree's location. First, there might be bigger ones out there. Second, Oregon does not have many redwood forests to begin with, so if people were really determined to find it, it probably wouldn't take too long, especially if grove or general area is published. So at this time, I'm refraining from telling too many people about it.
Zane J. Moore
yofoghorn

Print view this post

#17)  Re: Oregons largest tree?

Postby darvellloyd » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:55 pm

On April 3, 2016, my brother and I found relatively large redwood in the headwaters of Moser Creek off the Oregon Redwoods Trail on Peavine Ridge near Brookings, way above the /Winchuck R. I originally reported the diameter as a little under 14 feet.  But my measurement was wrong--it's diameter is actually about 12 feet. We estimated it's height to be near 300 ft., with a healthy crown and spiked top.  With a stove-pipe trunk, it's clearly the largest tree anywhere close to the trail.  There was very thick vegetation in the steep gulley.  If Zane Moore'd measurements of the giant Oregon redwood he discovered in Jan. 2016 are correct, the "Moser fir" is not Oregon's largest tree.  But right now, I think it would rank as Oregon's second largest!  I've posted an image I took of it on the NTS Facebook site. Since I lost my camera and all images a few days later, I'll soon post Darryl's images of the tree.
darvellloyd

Print view this post

#18)  Re: Oregons largest tree?

Postby yofoghorn » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:33 am

New update: My dad and I discovered that Oregon has two trees >20000 cubic feet. One of them is a 19-footer and the other is a 22-footer. The next largest is the 18-footer around ~17000 cubic feet, as mentioned above in this thread.
Zane J. Moore
yofoghorn

Print view this post

#19)  Re: Oregons largest tree?

Postby mdvaden » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:41 pm

yofoghorn wrote:New update: My dad and I discovered that Oregon has two trees >20000 cubic feet. One of them is a 19-footer and the other is a 22-footer. The next largest is the 18-footer around ~17000 cubic feet, as mentioned above in this thread.

It's size that can seen for comparison with an easy drive. If anyone goes to Stout Grove, the Stout redwood is close to the same size.  close enough to give a good idea what those are like.

Another few hundred years, and Oregon may have a bunch of them again.

mdvaden

Print view this post

Previous

Return to Oregon