New Mission at Fort Hill, Ohio Takes Shape

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  New Mission at Fort Hill, Ohio Takes Shape

Postby dbhguru » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:31 am

Ents,

On Oct 26-29, Monica and I will be at Highlands Nature Sanctuary in southern Ohio. The objective is to give the Arc of Appalachia Preserve System support for the old growth forests at the Fort Hill Archeological site, and later, other forested properties that they oversee. Matt Markworth and I have talked and I think Matt plans to come up from Cincinnati. Hopefully Rand can join us and Steve Galehouse as well. I've been communicating with Director Nancy Stranahan on how we in NTS can collect data that may be useful in showcasing the special nature of the forests on properties like Fort Hill. I should mention that Joan Maloof is also involved. For Hill would become a member of the Old-growth Forest Network if it can be re-designated as a Nature Preserve. Believe it or not, Fort Hill is still legally open to logging, according to Joan.

I'm thinking that we could calculate a RHI and a RGI along with other density statistics. There is no other organization around that is likely to do the kind of statistical documentation that we do. I think they are excited that we're coming. It could be a long and productive partnership. Anyone out there want to join us?

Nancy is planning a dinner at 6:00PM at her house for us on Oct 27th. If any of you would like to come, please let me know. If we could put a team of 4 or 5, or more, at Fort Hill for a day, we could give the Preserve some excellent data.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and Executive Director
Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest

For this message the author dbhguru has received Likes :
Matt Markworth
dbhguru

Has Liked: 4 times
Has Been Liked: 1091 times
Print view this post

#2)  Re: New Mission at Fort Hill, Ohio Takes Shape

Postby Rand » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:22 pm

Glad Nancy got hold of you.  I sorta stuck my neck out when I gleefully announced all the cool stuff we found (after trapsing all over their property without permission).  Guess it worked out in the end.  I should be able to make it.
Rand

Has Liked: 272 times
Has Been Liked: 377 times
Print view this post

#3)  Re: New Mission at Fort Hill, Ohio Takes Shape

Postby dbhguru » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:36 pm

Rand,

I'm glad you did take the chance. I believe that we can have a long and productive working relationship with Arc of Appalachia Preserve System. From my initial communications with Nancy, I she seems to understand what we do, and can do, at least in concept. I don't know much about Ohio's system of state forests and nature preserves. Hopefully, we can make contacts within that governmental chain. If they value what we can contribute, we can really rock and roll. However, I won't hold my breath. Governmental connections are usually slow to develop.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President
dbhguru

Print view this post

#4)  Re: New Mission at Fort Hill, Ohio Takes Shape

Postby Steve Galehouse » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:59 pm

Bob, Rand, Matt-

I'll do my best to get there, but I can't say for certain right now.

Steve
every plant is native somewhere
Steve Galehouse

Has Liked: 184 times
Has Been Liked: 231 times
Print view this post

#5)  Re: New Mission at Fort Hill, Ohio Takes Shape

Postby Matt Markworth » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:09 pm

Bob,

Sounds great. I'm thrilled that you're visiting Ohio again, and especially excited that we're building new bridges with other organizations.

Definitely count me in for the dinner on the evening of Monday, Oct 27th. Either Monday or Tuesday would work out well for me for a measuring trip to Fort Hill. If one of those days works out better for you, Rand, or Steve, then either one is good for me. I'll probably camp at Paint Creek on Monday night. I'll also run some more LiDAR to see what else may be lurking nearby.

Matt
Matt Markworth

Has Liked: 1068 times
Has Been Liked: 826 times
Print view this post

#6)  Re: New Mission at Fort Hill, Ohio Takes Shape

Postby dbhguru » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:03 pm

Matt,

Super! I'll let Nancy know.

Steve,

Sure hope you can make it.

Rand,

I'll tell Nancy that you plan to attend.

All,

The more I read, the more I am utterly amazed at what this section of Ohio offers. What a treasure:  natural and cultural! We have a mission emerging that will keep us busy for a long, long time. Can't wait to get started.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President
dbhguru

Print view this post

#7)  Re: New Mission at Fort Hill, Ohio Takes Shape

Postby Rand » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:19 pm

dbhguru wrote:Rand,

I'm glad you did take the chance. I believe that we can have a long and productive working relationship with Arc of Appalachia Preserve System. From my initial communications with Nancy, I she seems to understand what we do, and can do, at least in concept. I don't know much about Ohio's system of state forests and nature preserves. Hopefully, we can make contacts within that governmental chain. If they value what we can contribute, we can really rock and roll. However, I won't hold my breath. Governmental connections are usually slow to develop.

Bob

In general Ohio Preserves aren't patrolled with any real rigor (thankfully I've seen no evidence that they need to be), so it's easier to go the proverbial 'beg forgiveness' route.  I did try to get a permit for Crane Hollow (which is privately administered) in the hocking hills and they pretty much stuck their nose up at me.  I'm still rather put out about that one.
Rand

Has Liked: 272 times
Has Been Liked: 377 times
Print view this post

#8)  Re: New Mission at Fort Hill, Ohio Takes Shape

Postby dbhguru » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:50 pm

Rand,

Yes, I remember when you got that ridiculous response from them. To put it bluntly, there are a lot of know-nothings out there. Perseverance sometimes triumphs, but not always.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President
dbhguru

Print view this post

#9)  Re: New Mission at Fort Hill, Ohio Takes Shape

Postby sradivoy » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:34 pm

I think the land of the ancient Hopewell is a very fitting stomping ground for the NTS community. Both cultures are known for their love of geometrical relationships and very precise measuring techniques. Study them well. You'll be forever impressed. http://www.earthworksconservancy.org/precision/
sradivoy

Has Liked: 45 times
Has Been Liked: 128 times
Print view this post

#10)  Re: New Mission at Fort Hill, Ohio Takes Shape

Postby dbhguru » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:12 pm

I am familiar with bits and pieces of their geometry (as we interpret it) and the precision with which those ancient people could measure. Just being near the earthworks, wondering about their culture, its origins, development, and demise is a humbling experience. There is so much that took place over the past several thousand years of history in that region than most of us could ever imagine.  

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President
dbhguru

Print view this post

Next

Return to Ohio