Charles Taylor sells 8,000 acres to conservation groups.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

James Parton

Charles Taylor sells 8,000 acres to conservation groups.

Post by James Parton » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:22 pm

ENTS,

Check out the article in the Asheville Citizen-Times on Congressman Taylor selling land to conservation groups.

http://www.citizen-times.com:80/article ... ion-groups

Also check out a trip I done on Rich Mountain a while back. Charles Taylor owns a sizeable portion of that mountain. I don't know if it is part of the sale.

http://www.nativetreesociety.org/fieldt ... ain_nc.htm

James
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

mdavie

Re: Charles Taylor sells 8,000 acres to conservation groups.

Post by mdavie » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:18 am

I think it's more a product of the current economy that he's unloading this property. I'm not sure, but I believe he and some partners are trying to develop a tract near Waterrock Knob but have run into financial difficulties. He owns about 3000 or so acres there. From the article:
Taylor’s Champion Cattle and Tree Farms signed an agreement to sell 8,000 forested acres in Transylvania County to the Carolina Mountain Land Conservancy and The Conservation Fund for $33 million. The groups are working to put the land into public ownership and open it for hunting, fishing, hiking and other recreation.

“Some people might be surprised that such a large tract has been preserved and he’s now giving it to the public,” said Taylor’s son, Owen Taylor, acknowledging the differences that arose between his father, a wealthy tree farmer and land owner, and environmentalists. “My dad has always seen it as natural heritage for his family and something he wanted to conserve.”

I like how he's "giving it to the public" for only 33 million. Still, I'm always glad when large tracts are protected.

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:24 am

Mike,

Some of us remember Taylor from the early 1990s. He was on the opposite side of the table on forest issues from us. The fur flew during those times. Taylor's son talks about his father giving away the land for $33,000,000. If you divide $33,000,000 by 8,000 acres, you get $4,125 per acre. Am I missing something?

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

sjhalow

Post by sjhalow » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:25 pm

I agree with the comments that others have posted here. It seems kind of self-serving on the part of Mr Taylor, spinning a business deal as some kind of grandiose act of philanthropy. Still, 8000 acres of protected forest/woodland is a good thing.

Don

Post by Don » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:11 am

sjhalow wrote:I agree with the comments that others have posted here. It seems kind of self-serving on the part of Mr Taylor, spinning a business deal as some kind of grandiose act of philanthropy. Still, 8000 acres of protected forest/woodland is a good thing.
Means and ends...
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org

mdavie

Post by mdavie » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:27 am

dbhguru wrote: If you divide $33,000,000 by 8,000 acres, you get $4,125 per acre. Am I missing something?

Bob
That's a probably a pretty good price, really. Though I don't know how many private entities are currently willing or able to fork out that kind of dough for mountain land. Overall, it's surely good news that more land is being protected. I hope he ends up selling the land near Waynesville, as well.

jamesrobertsmith

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:53 pm

It's nice that the 8K acres is relatively well protected now. But don't be fooled by bullcrap from Taylor. They didn't call him "Chainsaw Charlie" for nothing.

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:25 pm

James,

Yes, Charles Taylor has an abysmal environmental record. If he has caught a case of altruism, we can be thankful. Either way, I'm glad the 8,000 acres are protected.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Return to “North Carolina”