Blue Ridge Parkway Ride.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

James Parton

Blue Ridge Parkway Ride.

Post by James Parton » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:58 pm

ENTS,

Today Joy, my wife and I took a short ride on the Blue Ridge Parkway. We accessed the Parkway by hwy 276 coming from Brevard up along the Davidson River. Nearing the parkway we noticed a lot of damage had been done to the trees from the past bad winter. It is the worst we have seen. Two sections of the parkway are closed. From Pisgah Inn down to the French Broad River Bridge over Brevard Rd and the area near Craggy Gardens is closed. The area below Pisgah Inn is closed to repair and clean up weather damage from heavy rains and winter damage. The Craggy Gardens area is closed for paving.

We rode south going by Graveyard Fields and Devil's courthouse. The weather made the ride dark and gloomy but it was eerily beautiful. We stopped along the way and took a few pictures. I noticed that the high altitude boreal forests had not been affected by the ice of last winter as badly as the lower decidious forest. The spruce and fir shed ice and snow better and suffer less damage. The forests at these altitudes are much better cold weather adapted. We did see a few trees the wind had toppled though. Primarily Red Spruce.

After the ride we ate at Pisgah Fish Camp before going to visit Kim, Joy's daughter who lives on nearby Lambs Creek. Then we headed for home.

James
Attachments
BRP.JPG
BRP2.JPG
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

dbhguru

Re: Blue Ridge Parkway Ride.

Post by dbhguru » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:18 am

James,

Sooooper shots. They kindle my desire to get started on the Parkway book. The forests along the Pisgah Ledge and across the Balsams have always been especially appealing to me. The views from the Devil's Courthouse and Waterrock Knob are two of my favorites. There are small swaths of old growth along the Parkway from the Pisgah Inn to where the Parkway descends to Oconaluftee. That is not a widely known fact, but we'll make it so.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:19 am

Bob,

We rode the Pisgah Ledge ( Or Ridge as is is more commonly called. ) onward on the parkway almost to Richland Balsam. I was going to ride to the Maggie Valley exit but Joy wanted to turn back. A line of storms were approaching and it got all gloomy. It surprises me that there is still of some growth here. Jess corrected me once on the area of Big East Fork Pigeon River when I stated I thought they were little or no old growth left here. About 80 years ago much of the forest along this stretch of parkway was extensively logged. It surprises me that they are any old growth left, but they are still some hard to get to area there. That is probably where the old growth resides.

James
James E Parton
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:22 am

James,

I've found that the two big reasons explaining residual old growth along the Parkway are: (1) inaccessibility, and (2) lack of commercial value. The market can bounce around with respect to species and then there is the gnarly stuff - of little value. Patches of old growth can be a few acres to a few tens of acres. But put it all together, stretched over 469 miles and it is a story well worth telling. Let the drum rolls begin.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:32 am

Bob,

And then there is probably the occaisonal lone cull.

James
James E Parton
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

Return to “North Carolina”