New to forum, Pisgah Project Help

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  New to forum, Pisgah Project Help

Postby cmckearney » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:30 am

Hello all,

I'm a student at NCSU and have been following this forum for quite some time. I'm in my last semester and studying Environmental Science. I spent my first 3 years as an engineering student and worked an internship for an engineering firm surveying mostly for cookie-cutter housing developments and Verizon stores.

One project we had was surveying a site only a couple miles from my house. I was amazed at the height of the trees and maturity of the forest as we got deeper into the plot of land. I took hundreds of pictures of the landscape and species of plants and animals I encountered. I left work every day with a pit in my stomach knowing that the rich forest was soon to be cut over and developed, which I watched happen for the rest of the summer.

I quickly realized I was in the wrong field of study. I had always been fascinated with nature, thanks largely due to my dad showing me the different types of birds in our backyard. I was an Eagle Scout and spent many nights in the outdoors, at peace with the world. I switched my major to Environmental Science with a focus in Restoration Ecology, hoping to be on the opposite side of the damage I surveyed for that summer.

I'm currently enrolled in a fire restoration/forestry class at my university and need to do a video project by the end of the semester. My topic is the usage of fire in Pisgah National Forest in order to restore mostly Shortleaf Pine stands, as well as Chestnut Oak and some other species that benefit from fire.

I went to Pisgah last weekend and hiked some areas of the forest, mostly Linville Gorge (with the knowledge that I would not find the pines I needed) but had my efforts cut short by the torrential rain.

I was hoping someone from this forum in the Asheville area could help me in locating some large pine in Pisgah and introduce me to tree measuring. The restoration projects I plan on visiting are in Crawley Branch and Roses Creek. Obviously the restoration areas will not contain large trees, but anyone is welcome to tag along for a hike there too! Pisgah has really piqued my interest my last few trips, and I'd love for the opportunity to locate some impressive trees with anyone who knows the area well.
cmckearney

Has Liked: 0 times
Has Been Liked: 0 times
Print view this post

Return to North Carolina