Two Lambs Creek Trees

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

James Parton

Two Lambs Creek Trees

Post by James Parton » Mon May 10, 2010 10:43 am

ENTS,

On Saturday evening My wife Joy and I along with her son Brian Lyman went to a cookout over to her daughter Kim's place which is located in the beautiful Lamb's Creek Valley just outside of Brevard NC. Lamb's Creek is bordered by the Pisgah National Forest and Camp Carolina is located at the head of the valley at the end of the road. Their home is located on the right just down the road from the camp.

While Joy and Kim had left to get supplies I took a little time to look along the field at some nearby trees. The first was a decent Pitch Pine measuring in at 5' 10" cbh x 70 ft in height. Another slimmer PP is nearby at approximately the same height. The second is an Eastern Hemlock ( Still alive but infested with HWA ) measuring in at 6' 2 1/2" cbh x 88.1 ft in height. I took a picture of it with my new Blackberry smartphone.
Eastern Hemlock ( Still alive but infested with HWA ) measuring in at 6' 2 1/2" cbh x 88.1 ft in height
Eastern Hemlock ( Still alive but infested with HWA ) measuring in at 6' 2 1/2" cbh x 88.1 ft in height
I plan on a detailed exploration of the forest in this area in the near future. Stay tuned!

James
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

edfrank

Re: Two Lambs Creek Trees

Post by edfrank » Wed May 12, 2010 2:42 pm

James,

Little pockets of survival gives people some hope, just as the American chestnut shoots give hope for the return of the species in the future.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

James Parton

Re: Two Lambs Creek Trees

Post by James Parton » Thu May 13, 2010 12:07 am

Ed,

Yes, there is always hope. The chestnut has one big advantage though. It can regrow from old stumps and roots. If only the hemlock could do this. I feel that science may bring back the American Chestnut. Chemically treating hemlocks might be able to save the species until a " cure " is found.

James
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

Return to “North Carolina”