Big Ivy/Coleman Boundary

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Bosque

Big Ivy/Coleman Boundary

Post by Bosque » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:58 pm

The area around Forest Service Road 74 is one of my favorite places on the face of the earth. I used to live relatively close at Forks of Ivy. Does anyone know how I could learn more about the history of Coleman Boundary? I've read that the area was considered for a national park (maybe including Linville Gorge?) before Great Smoky Mountains National Park was named. I've also heard from local folks that some pretty tough guys used to hang out up there until a feisty little female forest ranger cleared them out! This was decades ago. I'm not sure when. I'll bet there are many more good stories about the place. I'm contacting the Barnardsville Communtiy Center, Pack Library, the library at Mars Hill University, and the Appalachian District office of Pisgah National Forest. Do any of you have any other ideas?

Thank you.
Carol Diamond

bbeduhn

Re: Big Ivy/Coleman Boundary

Post by bbeduhn » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:24 am

Carol,
The area has been studied extensively by ENTS. The largest hemlocks outside of the Smokies used to reside there. The Sugar maples are amongst the largest. Part of the area is still included as a study area for Wilderness designation. I believe it will happen at some point but not likely in the near future. Check out the posts under Field Trip Reports and Localities. You won't find too much history but the geology and flora are well documented.

The film, "The Last of the Mohicans" shot some scenes fairly close to the entrance. The Elk Pen trail runs through the filming site.

I intend to do some more measuring there in the near future. The Elk Pen Trail is listed as old growth but I found just one tree that was certainly 150 years old. It is very productive second growth. There is an abundance of old growth forest around Douglas Falls and most of the high elevations. The natural area is where the big sugar maples reside.
Brian

Bosque

Re: Big Ivy/Coleman Boundary

Post by Bosque » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:13 pm

Thanks Brian. I've noticed through your posts that you sure do get around! More power to you.
Carol

Return to “North Carolina”