Kellogg Center UNCA

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

bbeduhn

Kellogg Center UNCA

Post by bbeduhn » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:35 pm

I'd read about some quality pines at the Kellogg Center, near Hendersonville. This property is owned by UNC Asheville, and also goes under the title "The Center for Craft, Creativity and Design". I ran into a small group from the Native Plant Society, who were very interested in what I was doing. After a quick lesson on measuring, they were duly impressed. The assistant director for the center was hiking the trails as well. I spoke with her for a bit and explained what I was doing. She was interested in seeing the results.

The site is loaded with pitch pines, far more than I'd ever seen on a small site. The consistently tall pitch pines were unbelievable. White pines still dominate and Va pines make their presence known. Shortleaf pines were absent. A small stream runs through the property, lined with more pines. Hardwoods are crowded out with tulips reaching good size but no other hardwoods played a major role in the canopy. I didn't bother doing a Rucker index, just as Will forwent the index five years ago.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en& ... 6J-3DKrJLs

Pinus strobus white pine

132.8' 135.2' 135.8' 137.2' 140.8' 142.3' 142.3' 144.8' 149.0' 152.3'

Pinus rigida pitch pine

103.5' 103.8' 105.3' 105.9' 106.7' 108.7' 108.0' 108.8' 109.0' 109.0'
111.3' 114.0' 114.2' 119.1' 119.7' 122.0' 122.3' 125.1'

Pinus Virginiana Virginia pine

104.3' 105.0' 106.3'

Tsuga Canadiensis hemlock

100.5'

I wish I'd focused on the Virginia pines a bit more. They were mostly pretty scraggly but they soared. There are likely a few over 110'. The pitch pines garnered most of my attention. The 125.1' falls just short of the state record. Thanks to James Parton, who originally reported on the site.

The crazy white pine (I'd call it the octopus pine but it has too many limbs) is about 5' diameter. It has a smaller cousin nearby.
Crazy dodecapus pine
Crazy dodecapus pine
1-many 012.JPG
1-many 013.JPG
Big pitch pine & crazy mountain man
Big pitch pine & crazy mountain man
Tall pitch pines
Tall pitch pines
White pine stump showing multiple stems. It appeared to be just one main stem from the side.  I wonder if the crazy pines are similar.
White pine stump showing multiple stems. It appeared to be just one main stem from the side. I wonder if the crazy pines are similar.
Brian

Don

Re: Kellogg Center UNCA

Post by Don » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:37 pm

Brian-
First, your mention of Hendersonville brought back recall of a hotshot firefighting detail I got assigned to (Asheville Hotshots) and the training site (Camp Kanuga). Lots to like in your area! Not to mention the recent addition of Sierra Nevada Brewery!

Second, what a compliment to NTS-ers everywhere, that we might encounter ourselves, perhaps wherever there are trees!

Third, and significant for my current project, your "crazy pines" stump is already ready to be put to use, contingent on your permission. I'm about to open up a large discussion on single-stem versus multiple stemmed trees, and your stump picture is worth the proverbial thousand words!

Fourth, I'm wondering if you've thoughts yet unspoken on this issue...some say there needs to be consideration given to certain species (although I'd have not thought to include your "dodecapus" pine (Pinus dodecapus?...; > ) ). While I'm still attached to my "pith delineation process" approach, I realize that it comes down to judgement (when low branching is difficult to distinguish from multiple stems originating at or below ground level).

If you'd like to continue this discussion in the Cadre forum, that would be GREAT!
-Don
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org

bbeduhn

Re: Kellogg Center UNCA

Post by bbeduhn » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:24 pm

Don,
I think I addressed this on the Cadre Forum but if I didn't, you certainly have permission to use the multi trunk pine stump however you see fit.

In addition to Sierra Nevada, New Belgium and Oskar Blues also have second breweries in the area, along with 20+ local breweries!
Brian

Return to “North Carolina”