Crowders Mountain American chestnut

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

jamesrobertsmith

Crowders Mountain American chestnut

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:25 pm

If I can manage to go on Wednesday, one of the rangers at Crowders Mountain State Park is going to give me specific directions to the large American chestnut tree they found in the park a few years ago. He said that it's quite visible from one of the most popular trails in the park and that he routinely walked right past it for years before anyone noticed that it was an American chestnut. (I think it was in bloom when it was finally noticed.) They say it's a big one--over 50 feet tall from what I've heard. If I can make it, I'll take plenty of photos.

Rand

Re: Crowders Mountain American chestnut

Post by Rand » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:13 pm

Good hunting, it's always nice to find a tree-sized chestnut.

On a side note, I found a chestnut growing right over the road behind a park office once. I told some people about it who go their frequently and their first reaction was outrage. The thing had camouflaged itself by growing in with a bunch of other densely packed trees in a fencerow. I'd driven under it twice myself and the only reason I saw it was I paused to look up after turning my car around. After they looked at it, they told me it was some grade of American x Chinese hybrid (It certainly did look funny to me). Bummer, better luck next time.

Return to “North Carolina”