ID?

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

jamesrobertsmith

ID?

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:41 am

What is this stuff? The first photo there is some kind of orange slime on a vine (unknown vine) that I encountered in Boone's Cave Park:

Click on image to see its original size

The second photo is something similar (drier--maybe dormant) on one of the dogwoods in my mother-in-law's yard:

Click on image to see its original size

Steve Galehouse

Re: ID?

Post by Steve Galehouse » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:28 pm

Looks like slime flux, a bacterial disease that infests a number of different species: http://aces.nmsu.edu/ces/plantclinic/do ... _final.pdf

Steve
every plant is native somewhere

jamesrobertsmith

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:44 pm

Well, hell. That's not good news.

Rand

Post by Rand » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:00 pm

Huh.. I've never seen slime flux that bright before. Usually what I've seen is kinda of a muddy brown to brownish orange.

I couldn't help but notice the picture in the brochure looks like mulberry (white mulberry?) not cherry.
Is it just me?
mulberry.jpg

Joe

Post by Joe » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:04 am

does the slime flux indicate a pathological condition of the tree? or, is the slime mold just climbing up the tree to carry out its reproduction mode? or, is it feeding on tree sap that is leaking out from an injury?

Joe

Jess Riddle

Post by Jess Riddle » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:08 am

Bob,

I've seen the same bright orange slime on grape vines in the deep south. From what I can find online, the slime is caused by an ascomycete fungus, most likely Fusicolla merismoides, feeding on sap that seeps out of the vine in the spring. This webpage has a good overview http://www.backyardnature.net/n/x/orgslime.htm.

Here's some I saw in southern South Carolina on a grape vine a couple of years ago.
IMG_2879.JPG
Jess

Return to “North Carolina”