338 point willow oak in Efland, NC

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

pdbrandt

338 point willow oak in Efland, NC

Post by pdbrandt » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:41 pm

Hi NTSers,

I wanted to report on a great willow oak that has quickly become one of my favorite trees. The oak marks the boundary between family-owned farmland on one side and a state highway on the other. It is unusual in that there are no trees around it anywhere near its size and grandeur, which makes me especially grateful to all those who have preserved and nurtured it over the last 150 plus years. The tree is outside the small village of Efland, NC. It is a whopping 18 feet, 8 inches in circumference, has an average crown spread of 88 feet, and is 91 feet, 10 inches tall as measured yesterday by tape drop and pole extension to the top. That gives it a big tree point value of 338. It is along a small stream lined by winged elms and briers. Here are some pictures taken over the last couple of months during a few visits to the tree including the height measurement climb yesterday just as the buds are bursting (see last picture below). My daughter, Sarah (future NTSer) is in some of the pictures.

Click on image to see its original size

You can see the rest of the pictures at: https://picasaweb.google.com/1041699910 ... directlink
Patrick

Larry Tucei

Re: 338 point willow oak in Efland, NC

Post by Larry Tucei » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:06 pm

Patrick, Wow that is a beautiful Willow Oak. Those are some great photos of the tree. Your daughter looks like she had a great time. Man I want to climb with some of you guys. The next time I meet up with some climbers I'm going up! We measured a couple of big Willow Oaks in Congaree in S.C. back in 09. Let me dig up those measurements, here they are. H-120' CBH-18.5' Sp-108.5'x106.5'
137.5' 16' 10" 128.5'x109.5'
I was lucky enough to be on that trip with Will and company and I got to be the data man. Your Willow is Awesome! If you get the chance go to Congaree you would have a field day in there. Willow Oak has long been one of my favorite trees and yours stands with any that I've ever seen. Great post keep um coming! Larry

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:02 pm

Patrick, Larry,

I really envy you guys. I like oaks and especially lots of different kinds of them. Willow oaks are way cool. So are cherrybarks. I really like southern reds. I grew up under their canopy in the little mountain town of Blue Ridge, GA.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

jamesrobertsmith

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:27 pm

dbhguru wrote:Patrick, Larry,

I really envy you guys. I like oaks and especially lots of different kinds of them. Willow oaks are way cool. So are cherrybarks. I really like southern reds. I grew up under their canopy in the little mountain town of Blue Ridge, GA.

Bob
Blue Ridge! Damn. I went to high school in Ellijay at Gilmer High School. When I was on the football/wrestling/track teams we'd meet up with West Fannin and East Fannin high schools. I hear East Fannin is gone, now. I do recall that when we played them in football, they only had 13 players on their team. So each player had to play both offense and defense for the entire game with two guys in reserve.

I also remember Woody Gap High School, the smallest school in the state of Georgia was nearby in Suches. They generally had around eight seniors graduating each year. I think that school had 100 students, grades 1-12. As I recall, they only sport for which they could field a team was basketball.

pdbrandt

Post by pdbrandt » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:48 pm

Larry Tucei wrote:Patrick, Wow that is a beautiful Willow Oak. Those are some great photos of the tree. Your daughter looks like she had a great time. Man I want to climb with some of you guys. The next time I meet up with some climbers I'm going up! We measured a couple of big Willow Oaks in Congaree in S.C. back in 09. Let me dig up those measurements, here they are. H-120' CBH-18.5' Sp-108.5'x106.5'
137.5' 16' 10" 128.5'x109.5'
I was lucky enough to be on that trip with Will and company and I got to be the data man. Your Willow is Awesome! If you get the chance go to Congaree you would have a field day in there. Willow Oak has long been one of my favorite trees and yours stands with any that I've ever seen. Great post keep um coming! Larry
Larry,

Those willow oaks in Congaree sound awesome! Are they woods trees or out in the open? I'd like to get out there some day. This oak in Efland is a lot of fun to go up in. There is a multi-pillared "platform" at ~35 feet up where the massive main trunk splits off into many co-leaders. Sarah and I had lunch at that spot the first time we climbed the tree. You can probably tell from the pictures that the center of the tree is remarkably open. I can't wait to experience it when the leaves are all out. If you want to learn to climb trees on rope check out the climbing schools listed here: http://www.newtribe.com/links.html#usa
Patrick

Bart Bouricius

Post by Bart Bouricius » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:26 am

Patrick,

Yes that is a beautiful Willow Oak. I remember when I worked in Chapel Hill NC and how impressive some of the Willow Oaks were. The bark and structure, though not the leaves is remarkably similar to the Pin Oaks I climb in the North, without the leaves they look the same, except for the tendency of the Pin Oaks to never let go of their old dead lower branches.

Bart

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:23 am

Patrick, They are Forest trees Willow is just one species of many that have reached great size at Congaree. Some of the largest trees in the eastern US are located here. Many of the biggest trees are in the 250 year range with some much older- Cypress for one. Perhaps Will, Andrew, Bob, Randy, Ed or someone else will chime in and give a better perspective than I. http://www.nps.gov/cong/index.htm Larry

Rand

Post by Rand » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:56 pm

Patrick,

To imagine the trees in Congaree, imagine your tree there with ~50' of trunk inserted. Just absolutely massive, spreading monsters. I think one cherrybark oak larry and I measured was ~160' tall and ~150' in it's widest direction. The crowns are so wide they are just a bear to measure. Send 3 people to measure 3 different sides of the tree and they'll all come back with different heights because they measured the one top they could see.

However, it was very much an uneven aged stand. The giants were widely scattered so you didn't get the cathedral affect like you see at cook forest or the redwoods.

Return to “North Carolina”