Montreat Trail System, NC

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

bbeduhn

Re: Montreat Trail System, NC

Post by bbeduhn » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:43 am

Larry,
I had a weekend to myself so most of that time was spent in the forest. I know what you mean about the rhododendron. It's pretty to look at but bushwhacking through 100 yards of the stuff isn't exactly a walk in the park. My problem is that there are too many places to visit and not nearly enough time to do it all. I'm going to work on spending more time and being more thorough at each location because I'm missing quality trees here and there. That way, Rucker indices will be more accurate. I still don't get out to as many locations as you do.
Brian

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:04 am

Shared yellow birch root
Shared yellow birch root
Very old yellow birch
Very old yellow birch
growth rings on very old yellow birch--about 220 in less than 5"
growth rings on very old yellow birch--about 220 in less than 5"
Old chestnut oak
Old chestnut oak
Old chestnut oak crown
Old chestnut oak crown
Bulbous red maple
Bulbous red maple

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:17 am

Brian, That's amazing growth rates on that Birch, 220- 5" unreal! It must have been in the shadows for decades. We had one Chestnut Oak in all of Southern Ms that I could find but it passed away a couple of years ago,Chestnut Oak is really cool tree and one of my favorites. Larry

ElijahW

Post by ElijahW » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:11 pm

Larry, Brian,

One of the weirdest, scariest things that ever happened to me while in the woods involved a chestnut oak. I was walking along a mountain trail in Virginia, just minding my own business, when I hear this loud crash right near me, just off the trail. An old, rotten tree totally collapsed under its own weight as I was walking by and nearly gave me a heart attack. The oak probably wasn't very old, and not more than about 1' dbh and 30-40' tall. My first thought was that I had a big bear after me, or maybe a bigfoot, but I soon calmed down and figured out what was going on. You see downed trees all the time, but this was the only time I've witnessed a collapse firsthand. The weather was great, I was by myself, and never expected such a thing to happen. Weird story, but I felt compelled to share it.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:47 pm

I did a little measuring on Lookout Trail. The tallest tree was a red hickory. I doubt I got the top as Will has stated one goes 130'+, likely the same one.

red hickory 124.0', 113.8', 113.1' 112.6'

tulip 121.6'

red oak 113.9'

sourwood 95.7'

in town:

white pine 132.1'

sycamore 106.4'

Return to “North Carolina”