White oak?

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

jamesrobertsmith

White oak?

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:43 am

Because of the nature of my job, I get to see a lot of trees in a lot of neighborhoods. This week I was in a neighborhood I'd never seen before and behind a house was a truly impressive oak. Oaks are really high on the list of tree types with which I have a lot of difficulty in identifying. My suspicion is that it's a white oak, but I'm not positive. At any rate, the tree is just very impressive. It has a very straight trunk that narrows hardly at all from ground to crown. The limbs are similarly huge. Since the tree is in the back yard I haven't been able to see the base completely, so I can't say with any degree of accuracy how tall it is. Seems to be in the 100-foot range. The most startling quality of it is that it's so massive so high. It kind of reminds me of the Sag Branch poplar in that respect.

If I can catch the homeowner I'll see if I can make some rough estimates. I think I can also gather some leaves and acorns from the front of the house so that I can make a positive ID of the tree. And maybe he'll let me take some photos.

edfrank

Re: White oak?

Post by edfrank » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:35 pm

James Robert,

Look forward to an update on the tree and some photographs. Post some leaf and acorn picture if you aren't sure of teh identification once you check it out.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

jamesrobertsmith

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:38 pm

I picked up some leaves and acorns from the front yard today. The owner wasn't at home. I'll scan the material and post it later.

jamesrobertsmith

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:37 am

OK.

Here's a scan I made of the what I think are leaves and acorns from the oak in question. I'm going to see if the owner is home today.

Click on image to see its original size

Steve Galehouse

Post by Steve Galehouse » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:22 am

James-

It looks like you have samples from two different trees in the photo---pin oak to the right, white oak the partially hidden twig with acorns to the back left.

Steve
every plant is native somewhere

jamesrobertsmith

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:46 pm

Yep. As soon as I posted the photo and left for work this morning I realized that I'd put two different leaf types on the scanner. (They got tangled up.) It's the one with the acorns, so I was right in IDing it as a white oak, it seems.

The owner still wasn't home today. If I have that route next week I'll make a stab once more at seeing if I can get permission to go in the back yard and take some photographs and, hopefully, at least get CBH measurements. What's impressive about the tree is that it remains so massive all the way to the crown.

adam.rosen

Post by adam.rosen » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:27 pm

Picture of tree, please. You've got me all curious now.

jamesrobertsmith

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:42 pm

As soon as I can catch the homeowner actually at home. The tree is in his back yard and the first thing I learned as a kid was NO TRESPASSING! I can only see about half the tree from the side of his house, so I think it's likely quite an impressive tree. If I'm back there on Monday I'll try again.

jamesrobertsmith

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:29 pm

I finally met the owner of the house and tree today. I was right about the tree. It's a white oak and it's quite impressive. The City of Charlotte has listed it as "an exceptional tree" within the city limits. The owner has the tree rigged with a cable to disperse lightning charge. I've never seen that on a tree before.

I'm hoping to get over there and take some photos as soon as I can. I didn't take my camera to work with me because I didn't think I'd be in that neighborhood today. He gave me permission to photograph it. I'll also try to measure the CBH. Hard to say how tall it is. The impressive thing about it is its total mass and the size of its many limbs.

eliahd24

Post by eliahd24 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:35 pm

Fantastic! I, too, would love to see a pic. Quite a few monster White Oaks here in Atlanta as well. I've learned some lesson the hard way about trespassing too... though I still may or may not do it :)

Return to “North Carolina”