Yellow Birches Behaving Strangely

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

James Parton

Re: Yellow Birches Behaving Strangely

Post by James Parton » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:20 am

Bob,

The Pipevine Swallowtail is probably my favorite butterfly species and those Turks Caps are sure pretty. I noticed them yesterday.

I feel privileged to live in the North Carolina mountains.
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

mileslowry

Post by mileslowry » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:15 pm

Incredible, Bob...thanks!

I think they would lend themselves to some large format B/W photography wonderfully...
Any secrets in finding the place?

cheers
Miles

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:08 am

Photographing the yellow birch up there is on my to do list and you beat me to it, in my own backyard! There are many more to shoot and I'll get up there soon...and pick some blueberries. The chestnut oaks and sugar maples in the area are almost as contorted as the birches. They are the 'kings of contortion'. You were very near the big hawthorns I recently measured.

That long distance shot separated the blues so well. I assume it looked more white to the naked eye.

Lee Frelich

Post by Lee Frelich » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:53 pm

Bob:

I have seen yellow birches like that on Isle Royale, the Apostle Islands and other places in Upper Michigan where they are exposed to extreme winds on a regular basis.

Lee

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:15 pm

Lee, Brain, et al.

I expect to find other places, e.g. along the crest of the Balsams, that will show lots of contorted forms. I'm not surprised that you've encountered many in the more northerly latitudes, Lee. Brian, how much time have you spent searching the Craggies? Now that I have a research permit from the NPS for the Blue Ridge Parkway, I hope to do some honest searching and measuring off trail. And, yes, the actual appearance was of those waves of mountains was whiter.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:17 pm

Bob,
I've spent a fair amount of time in the Craggies. The trail up to Craggy Pinnacle is one of the best places for yellow birch. The Mountains to Sea Trail from the Craggy picnic area either direction is outstanding. I believe you were between the picnic area and the visitor center when you snapped most of those shots, and perhaps just north for a few shots. There's a Snowball Trail which I have not been on yet, also originating from the picnic area. I've done very little off trail exploring. It's quite steep off trail, for the most part. Douglas Falls Trail is excellent--big trees, a cherry in particular which I'll measure soon. Getting into the Black Mountains on the Craggy side, the Balsam Gap area is stellar for contorted trees, including birch and red spruce. The Big Butt Trail and the Mountains to Sea are excellent for arboreal contortion artists. When you're down this way again, I'll try to meet up with you.
Brian

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:47 pm

Same here Bob. I was on the Parkway when you visited the Craggies. I was south near Black Balsam Mountain.
James E Parton
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:38 pm

Brian, James,

Next trip down, I'll give you all plenty of notice. Maybe we can explore together. The dwarf forests of the Craggy summits are just way cool. I wonder what exists along the crest of the Balsams. I realize that the Balsams were heavily logged, but some old growth remains.

Here is one last look at the old Yellow Birches near Craggy Flats.

Bob
CG-YB-Last.jpg
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:42 pm

Miles,

No, the place is very easy to find. You go to the picnic area of Craggy Gardens and take the trail to the Flats. The trail starts at the end of the parking lot. The charismatic birches start just a few yards up the trail. You can't miss them. If you get down there maybe you can persuade James are Brian to accompany you. They know the places well.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:13 am

Miles,

If you let me know enough ahead of time I would be glad to accompany you there!
James E Parton
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

Return to “North Carolina”