Potential National Champion tree in Asheville

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Will Blozan

Potential National Champion tree in Asheville

Post by Will Blozan » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:15 pm

ENTS,

On my recent trip to the Smokies with Brian Beduhn I mentioned that my tree service gives me access to thousands of private properties specifically to look at their trees. Over the years this has allowed me to compile a huge amount of urban tree data including many champion or near-champion trees.

Monday was no exception as I was consulting on a gorgoeus property in West Asheville that dates to the 1890's. Several impressive exotic trees and off-site natives were present. I noted what looked like a decent asian persimmon from a distance, and after my meeting with the client I went over to check it out.
Bark detail
Bark detail
Fruit
Fruit
Leaves
Leaves
P1010853.jpg (210.59 KiB) Viewed 1458 times
Lower trunk
Lower trunk
It was not a persimmon but in fact a HUGE two-wing silverbell (Halesia diptera). I measured it and it is by far the largest I have ever seen and qualifies as a National Champion. Until this tree, the largest I have seen are the ones at the Biltmore Estate; one of which has been listed as a State Champion. However, the Biltmore tree is a double fusion and not a single tree by any means.
Whole tree
Whole tree
This specimen is 62" (1.57 m) CBH X 67' (20.4 m) tall X 36' (11 m) average spread. LEGIT!

Will Blozan

Larry Tucei

Re: Potential National Champion tree in Asheville

Post by Larry Tucei » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:39 pm

Will, Awesome! Congrats on the champ. Larry

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:11 pm

Will,

Another excellent find. I enjoy these reports of big "little" tree species. First the Clethra, now the two-wing silverbell.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

mdavie

Post by mdavie » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:25 pm

That's the one on Lakeshore, isn't it? It's a honker.

Will Blozan

Post by Will Blozan » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:53 am

Mike,

No, this one is off Haywood. I don't know of the one on Lakeshore- is it worth a measure? The only other one I know of besides the BIltmore Estate is off Vanderbilt (?) in Biltmore Forest.

Will

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:24 am

Score! That isn't exactly a "little" champ. What are the stats on it?

Return to “North Carolina”