Location of huge poplar?

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

jamesrobertsmith

Location of huge poplar?

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:32 pm

There's a really huge poplar that I've seen in online photos. There are claims that it's the largest poplar in Pisgah National Forest. I think it's near Mackey Mountain where I've done some hiking and bushwhacking. Anyone here know the exact location and how to reach it?

jamesrobertsmith

Re: Location of huge poplar?

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:44 pm

It's on Laurel Knob. I've hiked all over that peak but have seen no huge trees. But I know there are old growth groves there. Just need directions.

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:33 am

I've heard of the area that you're talking about. Laurel knob, I believe, is on the Snook's Nose trail. There is apparently an area called the bowl but when I look at topos, I see no such area. It's close to the trail but there are some very steep drops near Laurel Knob. It's not actually in the Mackey Mountain area but the lower trailhead originates there and goes up to an overlook on the Blue Ridge Parkway. It's a steep trail for the first two miles from MM but maderate from the Parkway. I want to check that area out as well but don't want to get very far off trail by myself.

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:15 pm

http://www.primalnature.org/Laurel_Knob.pdf

This link tells quite a bit about it. You'll see a familiar name in the picture credits. I'm sure Josh Kelly can expound upon this site.

jamesrobertsmith

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:28 pm

I've hiked the Snooks Nose Trail but I didn't notice any impressive trees or noticeable old growth from the trail. But I've talked two pals into going with me to Laurel Knob to go bushwhacking. We'll find them.

Return to “North Carolina”