My pals: Hemlock photo

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

jamesrobertsmith

My pals: Hemlock photo

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:08 pm

Most of my friends are aware of my passion for our fading hemlock forests. So when they're out in the backcountry and see an exceptional tree they will often send me a photo via email or a link. And, yes, they are almost always dead trees. This weekend one of my friends hiked to see Kuykendall Falls in Pisgah National Forest. Not an official trail, you have to know about it to find it. While there, he saw what he describes as a "huge, dead hemlock" in the gorge beside the waterfall. Unfortunately, my pals almost never put a human figure in the photos for reference. But Andy says this one was impressive:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9067009@N0 ... 184456919/

edfrank

Re: My pals:

Post by edfrank » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:36 pm

Bob,

Looks like a good sized tree. The adelgid hasn't reached this area yet so we still have big hemlocks. It is only a couple countie over however. Yo should come up this way and check them out before they are gone

Ed

"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

jamesrobertsmith

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:57 pm

I'll do that. Our original plan this year was to head up to New York with our travel trailer and pass through Pennsylvania. But now it looks like we'll have to scuttle those plans unless things change.

Is the hwa spreading fast in Pennsylvania?

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:14 pm

Bob,

It is spreading, not very fast, but slowly in inexorably westward. There is a poster about it here: http://fhm.fs.fed.us/posters/posters05/hwa_pa.pdf
adelgid.JPG
adelgid.JPG (36.7 KiB) Viewed 1071 times
Unfortunately the state is still pursuing the failed policy of releasing predatory insects resulting in the death of all the hemlocks and is unwilling to use chemical treatment to preserve even the special groves of hemlocks.

"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

jamesrobertsmith

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:05 pm

See...when they won't do anything logical, it's time to sneak onto lands and chemically treat the trees. Especially the impressive old growth groves.

Return to “North Carolina”