Asheville NC Rucker Height Index - January 2011

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Will Blozan

Asheville NC Rucker Height Index - January 2011

Post by Will Blozan » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:05 pm

ENTS,

I borrowed this post from another thread and posted it here as a new topic. Therefore it is without context, but I thought it was a good discussion topic. I would like to see more post about the RI for various urban areas around the country. My apologies to Will if this post is incomplete. I realize it was not meant to stand on its own.

Ed Frank
ENTS,

Just recalling ten trees in Asheville, NC from my feeble brain I can get a Rucker of 137'. I have no doubt it will go close to 140 with trees Michael Davie has measured. I'll try to consolidate some trees and see what we can come up with.

These numbers are just recollections and live trees that are native. Some exotics would make it but are excluded for now.

Carygla 163
Pinustr 155
Platocc 144
Liritul 139
Pinurig 119
Pinuech 118
Querrub 129
Quercoc 129
Queralb 129
Tsugcan 145
137 Rucker
Will

mdavie

Re: Asheville NC Rucker Height Index - January 2011

Post by mdavie » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:52 pm

I need to think about this for a bit. I think there's a tuliptree up one of the Hawthorns off Swannanoa River road that's around 150, but I'll bet there's a taller one lurking somewhere. Are you talking city limits? Maybe up Beaverdam or somewhere around Candler.

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:53 am

I was also wondering about the boundaries. Is it just city limits? I know of a nice white pine/tuliptree grove on the MTS trail which is just outside of the city limit. I don't know that there's a 150 footer but there's a good chance of 140s.
Brian

Will Blozan

Post by Will Blozan » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:28 pm

Mike and Brian,

This "post" was a reply lifted from another topic so it may seem kind of random...

I was replying to the city limit Rucker Indices of Atlanta, GA and Akron, OH. Mike, the 139' tuliptree is one of the ones off Hawthorne; sounds like you found a taller one. I do wonder if we should include Biltmore Estate or not... I think so.

Anyway, the figures above are just recollections and need some refining. Maybe this weekend...

Will

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:29 pm

Will,

Yes I lifted this from the other thread (I left it there as well) because I thought it would make a good topic and would be lost among the posts for another city.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Will Blozan

Post by Will Blozan » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:30 pm

Ed,

I'm glad you did- it deserves its own discussion.

Mike, have you done much measuring on Town Mountain? The east side has some productive forests down into Haw Creek but I have never explored. I need to return to the WNC Nature Center to remeasure some nice oaks.

Will

Return to “North Carolina”