Lanning Woods

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

James Parton

Re: Lanning Woods

Post by James Parton » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:12 pm

Gaines,

I have not seen Wee Geordie. My wife would love it too if it is a romantic comedy.

My heritage is Irish and Cherokee. I enjoy learning about both the Celtic and Native American cultures. I have quite a decent collection of traditional Celtic music and love the Scottish fiddle and pipes.

I would love to learn gaelic and I have a course on it downloaded to my computer. I also have a couple of decent books on the language. While I have learned a few words I have not had the time to put into really learning the language. I would also be interested in learning Cherokee.
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

gnmcmartin

Post by gnmcmartin » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:20 am

James:

I am old now and don't have a lot of excess psychological energy, and so I now love romantic comedies. But in the day when I wanted movies to have deep meaning and drama and intense excitement, I still loved Wee Geordi. This movie is one big "charmer," and the ending would melt anyone's heart. Geordi is competing in the Olympics--he is alone and heartbroken, and is all tied up in knots so he can't throw the damn hammer at all. Then as he is getting set up for his final throw, his mind just blanks out from all the pressure, frustration, and loneliness. He then sees in his mind's eye his girl over the heath waving her arm over her head, crying out someting like, "wing away, Wee Geordi, wing away!" Do I need to say what happens next??

--Gaines

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:32 am

Gaines,

I will see if I can find the movie. Thanks for the recommendation!
James E Parton
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

RyanLeClair

Post by RyanLeClair » Wed May 18, 2011 9:47 pm

Hey James,

How do you like Asheville? I ask because CT is getting very expensive, and Asheville seems like a good a place as any for a tree-loving fellow to live. I'm not going to be moving anytime soon. It's more for when I have my own family. I really want to my children to appreciate the grandeur of the woods, and it seems the North Carolina woods are as good as any.

P.S., I found what looks like a European hawthorn at my college, I'll post a pic for you!

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Thu May 19, 2011 12:03 am

rddl1990 wrote:Hey James,

How do you like Asheville? I ask because CT is getting very expensive, and Asheville seems like a good a place as any for a tree-loving fellow to live. I'm not going to be moving anytime soon. It's more for when I have my own family. I really want to my children to appreciate the grandeur of the woods, and it seems the North Carolina woods are as good as any.

P.S., I found what looks like a European hawthorn at my college, I'll post a pic for you!

Overall I like Asheville. We have some nice forests close by, Like Pisgah National Forest and the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. There are plenty here for an outdoor lover to do. It is still a beautiful place.

But sadly it is growing at an impressive rate. The countryside around Asheville is disappearing rapidly under an urban sprawl. Once a conservative town, Asheville has become a melting pot of different peoples with different views and is much more liberal than it once was. Asheville is growing more from people coming in from the outside than from within. I know many locals who have left. My dad is one of them. He moved to rural Lowndesville SC to a traditionally conservative low-populated area.

But Asheville and Western North Carolina is my home. Even if I moved away, part of me would always be here.

You know how I feel about Hawthorns, hence my druid-name " Huathe "!

Mentioning Connecticut, I have a close friend who was born and grew up there. She moved here back in 1989.
James E Parton
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

RyanLeClair

Post by RyanLeClair » Thu May 19, 2011 9:27 am

James,

That's too bad, that Asheville is growing so much...it probably doesn't have the same feel as it once did...
What part of Connecticut did your friend grow up in?

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Thu May 19, 2011 10:15 am

I am not sure what area Holly grew up in. She told me but I can't quite remember. I think somewhere outside of Hartford.
James E Parton
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

RyanLeClair

Post by RyanLeClair » Thu May 19, 2011 2:22 pm

Oh, Ok. That's "far" from me (in CT terms -- what with the state being so tiny). I live closer to NYC. It's a nice area, but it's mostly developed, that's why I see myself packing my bags in the long run.

--Ryan

greenent22

Post by greenent22 » Mon May 30, 2011 8:33 pm

James Parton wrote:
Overall I like Asheville. We have some nice forests close by, Like Pisgah National Forest and the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. There are plenty here for an outdoor lover to do. It is still a beautiful place.

But sadly it is growing at an impressive rate. The countryside around Asheville is disappearing rapidly under an urban sprawl. Once a conservative town, Asheville has become a melting pot of different peoples with different views and is much more liberal than it once was. Asheville is growing more from people coming in from the outside than from within. I know many locals who have left. My dad is one of them. He moved to rural Lowndesville SC to a traditionally conservative low-populated area.
Yeah, that is sad to hear. It's painful to see sprawl. Plenty of places in NJ that got sprawled under over the past 20 years that still bug me to no end. Looking at satellite views you can see tons of development going on in NC. Charlotte just goes on forever now and even just being in CHapel Hill for a few years I saw a noticeable up tick in traffic and some chunks of woods paved over. People still have their heads in the sand though. They just joke and laugh about NJ and say they don't need any liberal laws and don't realize that just a few decades ago parts of NJ that are now 4 lane highways and strips malls used to have cows wandering around and people pushing baby carriages down the road without fear and I can see the beginning of the same change starting down there. But people don't get panicked until it's too late.

I guess the sole plus side to that is that you are getting more a melting pot of views and more of those of a liberal bent into the area so perhaps with enough influx you'll eventually get some politicians out there voted in who might actually see a tree as something other than a stack of bills and maybe some who might go for more wilderness area designations and reformation of the National Forest Service, etc., well maybe not since it is tricky enough even in areas far less GOP country but one could hope. Then again you'd need a wholesale massive influx to overwhelm the extreme conservatism (not sure if it was exaggerated or not, but I seem to recall reading that lots of people out there were actually HELPING Eric Rudolph the Olympic bomber, that is really getting to be scarily conservative, yikes) out there so it would sort of be out of the frying pan and into the fire, no win either way.

I wish UNC-CH had been out in Asheville, as you say GSMNP, Pisgah, so many amazing areas out there.

Return to “North Carolina”