Homeowner needs tree advice/help..

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dtaylor

Homeowner needs tree advice/help..

Post by dtaylor » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:00 pm

Hello everyone.. This is my first post on here. I just found you guys.. I'm hoping someone can help me with some questions about our tree. I think we need to cut it back and trim it up. But I'm not sure about when/what to trim and how much is ok. The last thing I want to do is hurt it in anyway.. Everyone LOVES this tree. And I think it's one of the biggest in the area.. I just tried to measure it myself and it's about 207" around the bottom.. I think it's a Pin Oak or a Willow Oak??

Any advice would be so apprecated..

Duane in Apex, NC
Attachments
IMAG0086.jpg
IMAG0085.jpg

Will Blozan

Re: Homeowner needs tree advice/help..

Post by Will Blozan » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:28 pm

Duane,

Looks like a gorgeous tree! I can't see the leaves but it looks like willow oak form, and if so is likely in need of not much, except perhaps deadwood removal and structural pruning. The species is awfully good at producing crossing branches and weak forks...

I'd set up a consult with a reputable certifed arborist in the area to see what may need attention.

http://www.isa-arbor.com/faca/findArborist.aspx

Will

mdavie

Post by mdavie » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:14 pm

Yes, it does look like a willow oak from the bark and leaves in the blown-up but blurry photo. "Cut it back and trim it up" is a scary group of words to me. People are often under the misapprehension that their trees are getting "too big". Trees grow, and get larger. It doesn't implicitly make them more dangerous, though the potential for damage can rise with weight and reach as a tree grows. It's large and mature enough that issues that it might have should be looked at, like Will says, by a good arborist. If it doesn't have significant defects then do the proper maintenance, don't let it get too dry, and don't disturb the soil around it (with fill, trenching, driving or parking on, burning, grading, etc.).
But find a good arborist, not just someone who can run a chainsaw.

Steve Galehouse

Post by Steve Galehouse » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:09 pm

dtaylor-

It looks like a gorgeous tree, to me---I'd just keep doing whatever you have been doing with it, and if you haven't been doing anything, continue.

Steve
every plant is native somewhere

gnmcmartin

Post by gnmcmartin » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:14 am

Before you let any arborits start work, ask very specifically what he plans to do. If he says that he will top the tree and/or cut off the ends of the branches to shorten the tree and "make it less susceptible to windthrow," find another arborist. The tree looks good to me and am not sure how much, if anything, needs to be done. Most trees can use some trimming--removal of dead or crossing, etc. branches--from time to time, but I see a risk in letting anyone start "messing" with your tree. They can do too much and/or make mistakes.

Of course, if you can find an arborist as good as Will, you will be in very, very good hands!!

--Gaines

dtaylor

Post by dtaylor » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:44 am

I would like to cut it back some on the lower limbs. It's hanging over the house and garage and also where people park. And any storms we have there are always some broken/dead limbs falling.. So I'm not talking about major cut back just a clean up on the lower level..

gnmcmartin

Post by gnmcmartin » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:14 am

The risk of strong healthy limbs falling out of any tree is slight. Of course there are storms that can destroy any tree.

If you have healthy, vigorous limbs cut back, they will simply re-sprout and grow again, and the points where the cuts were made and the limbs have sprouted new growth will be weak points and increase the chance of future falling limbs. If you can find a good certified arborist, he can tell you that and you can decide whether to remove entire limbs that may be at risk, or just clean out dead and weak wood. Anyway, your tree is beautiful and you should avoid damaging it.

--Gaines

Return to “North Carolina”