Harlequin Glorybower ( Clerodendrum Trichotomum )

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

James Parton

Harlequin Glorybower ( Clerodendrum Trichotomum )

Post by James Parton » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:37 pm

ENTS,

About 7 years ago, Dan Davis who I work with told me his dad had some rare and potentially valuable shrubs on his property. He called them " Harlequin Glorybower " I had never heard of them. His dad had been told that by a person working for the WNC Arboretum which is located in the Bent Creek Experimental Forest. He had told Dan's father that the plants were pretty rare in Western North Carolina due to them not having good cold hardiness for this area. He said some old-timers brought some in here years back and many did not make it and Dan's father may have a surviving more cold-hardy strain. Well, Dan's father was a farmer and started planting seedlings in pots hoping they may be worth selling. I don't know if anything more came outta it.

Dan described the plants having lilac-like leaves and flower clusters in late summer followed by glossy puplish berries. I have seen what I had thought to be Harlequin Glorybower widely scattered out around the area since his description of his dads plants but never got a closeup look, until last Wednesday. This one is near a house across from the County Line station on hwy 25 between Arden & Skyland NC.

Harlequin Glorybower is an introduced species from China and doing research on the web it does not appear rare at all around here. It may not be exactly common but it is not as rare as the arboretum made it appear. The plant takes the form of a shrub or small tree.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/772/

Check out the photos.
Attachments
DSC_8999.JPG
DSC_8997.JPG
DSC_8996.JPG
DSC_8993.JPG
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145