Big Laurel Creek, Hot Springs, NC

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  Big Laurel Creek, Hot Springs, NC

Postby bbeduhn » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:19 am

This trail is actually in the town of Hurricane, just over the mountain from Hot Springs, trailtown NC.  It follows a rather large stream on a an old railbed for half of its journey.  I was on a family hike so I just hit a few standout trees.  I'll follow up at some point.  The hardwoods are young and relatively small.   Only a few sycamores crack 100'.  Tulips likely attain more height up the mountainside but they are short by the river.  Hornbeams are the only impressive hardwood.  They dot the edge of the stream and attain respectable girth.  Many are multi-stemmed but several singles top 1' diameter.  

The stars of this trail are the conifers.  Hemlocks are almost 100% alive and doing well.  There are hundreds of healthy hemlocks!  I don't know what kind of treatment has been applied but it is working.  I noticed just a few white spots on some young hemlocks.  The older ones along the stream have decent girth but are short and squat.  They appear to be considerably taller uphill.  I measured just a couple.  The white pines remind me of the pines on the Chattooga River.  They are a bit smaller than the Chattooga's and are thin with reiterated crowns.  They have some age but it's a difficult guess as to how much age.  They grow amongst rhododendron hells.  Many are uphill and may be taller but it's difficult to gauge where the bottoms are.  The conifers are the only trees which appear to be above 70 years of age.

Tsuga canadensis   114.9'  109.4'

Pinus strobus         158.8' 153.0' 150.9' 150.9'

Brian

For this message the author bbeduhn has received Likes - 4:
Bart Bouricius, Bosque, Matt Markworth, tsharp
bbeduhn

Has Liked: 1112 times
Has Been Liked: 474 times
Print view this post

#2)  Re: Big Laurel Creek, Hot Springs, NC

Postby Josh Kelly » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:02 pm

Hey Brian,

Unless you saw paint or tags, none of those hemlocks have been treated.  You can see other hemlocks that are still alive along 25-70 where it crosses the Ivey.  I'm not sure if it's the low elevation, some random biogeography, or something to do with the conditions in those gorges, but they have some of the healthiest untreated hemlocks left in North Carolina.

Josh

For this message the author Josh Kelly has received Likes - 2:
bbeduhn, Bosque
Josh Kelly

Has Liked: 5 times
Has Been Liked: 70 times
Print view this post

#3)  Re: Big Laurel Creek, Hot Springs, NC

Postby bbeduhn » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:31 pm

I hiked this trail again. There is some good news and some bad news. I'll start with the bad news. The formerly healthy hemlocks from 2014, are now all in peril. I noticed just one dead hemlock but they are all defoliating from the ground up. Treatment could help but it would have to happen soon. It looks like Tree-of-Heaven is making inroads. The silk tree (mimosa) has established itself, hitting 45' in height. It is present all along the creek.

For the good news, this trail is far more diverse than I'd first noticed. Biltmore ash is abundant. It certainly looks green to me and its bark is significantly different from the Biltmore ash I see on slopes. The ash grows right along the stream. The birch family is well represented. Black birch, yellow birch, hornbeam and witch hazel all live here. Cinnamon clethra grows in at least one spot. This is a seldom seen small tree species. Will Blozan introduced me to it in the Cataloochee District in the Smokies. We remeasured the National Champion there. I've seen it in just one other spot.

clethra 1.jpg

cinnamon clethra

clethra 2.jpg

cinnamon clethra

green ash.jpg

Biltmore ash

creek 1.jpg

silk.jpg

creek with silk tree

creek 2.jpg

I didn't do any measuring but will at some point. White pine could top 160'.
Last edited by bbeduhn on Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bbeduhn

Print view this post

#4)  Re: Big Laurel Creek, Hot Springs, NC

Postby Josh Kelly » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:36 am

Hey Brian,

I'm glad you are getting out to cool places. The western Blue Ridge river gorges are really diverse. On that note, I'm pretty sure that the ash along the trail are Fraxinus biltmoreana.  Keep the hits coming.

Josh
Josh Kelly

Print view this post

#5)  Re: Big Laurel Creek, Hot Springs, NC

Postby bbeduhn » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:57 pm

Josh,
The patterns on the ash differ greatly from the Biltmore ash I've seen in mountain environments. They all grow right along the shore. I haven't seen many Biltmore ash along streams. The Biltmore ash in Big Creek also differ a bit in pattern from what I usually see. In looking at pics from Big Creek, I see that they do look similar. It's strange that they look so different along streams than they do on mountainsides. Damn you, Biltmore ash!
Brian
bbeduhn

Print view this post

#6)  Re: Big Laurel Creek, Hot Springs, NC

Postby Josh Kelly » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:24 pm

I'm frequently wrong.  I'll get a twig next time I'm down there and check it out.
Josh Kelly

Print view this post

Return to North Carolina