Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest

Postby tclikesbigtrees » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:41 am

I have wanted to get to old growth areas of the mountains of North Carolina for along time, especially areas with a lot of big Tulip trees. Since my son and I would be passing through western North Carolina on our way home from Florida, it seemed like the perfect time. I had read about Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest weeks before and it seemed like it would be an easy place to get to and it was. Wow! what a place! Once we started up the trail, we didn't see many Tulip trees. There were a lot of other trees and rhododendrons everywhere.  Once you start seeing the Tulip trees, they are almost everywhere you look. It is amazing how many of them are huge, very big around and very tall. Anybody who wants to see any old growth forests should go there. You would not be disappointed. I took a lot of pictures. I obviously would not be able to post them all, but tried to post enough to give a good representation of the area. The pictures don't it justice.

Tom
Attachments
DSCN3454[1].JPG
DSCN3526[1].JPG
DSCN3536[1].JPG
DSCN3560[1].JPG
DSCN3563[1].JPG
DSCN3573[1].JPG

For this message the author tclikesbigtrees has received Likes - 2:
ElijahW, jamesrobertsmith
tclikesbigtrees

Has Liked: 57 times
Has Been Liked: 116 times
Print view this post

#2)  Re: Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest

Postby ElijahW » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:37 pm

TC,

I'm glad you enjoyed your visit to Joyce Kilmer.  I've never been, but would like to someday.  In the last year or so, the importance of having easily accessible old growth has increasingly stood out to me.  I typically don't mind a bushwack; in fact, I prefer to avoid other people while in the woods, but a lot of the population is not like that.  I think you're doing a good thing taking your family to all these outstanding tree places, whether they appreciate it at the time or not.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks
ElijahW

Has Liked: 209 times
Has Been Liked: 252 times
Print view this post

#3)  Re: Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest

Postby jamesrobertsmith » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:39 am

I haven't been there in over two decades. The hemlocks were still there the last time I visited the grove.
jamesrobertsmith

Has Liked: 516 times
Has Been Liked: 117 times
Print view this post

#4)  Re: Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest

Postby Larry Tucei » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:04 pm

Tom-   Great shots of those massive Tulip trees.  I was up that way back in 09 what a great Forest with tons of big and tall trees!!  Larry
Larry Tucei

Has Liked: 669 times
Has Been Liked: 575 times
Print view this post

Return to North Carolina