Robert H. Treman State Park

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

ElijahW

Re: Robert H. Treman State Park

Post by ElijahW » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:52 pm

Brian,

Thanks. It’s a beautiful place, likely with a good bit of old growth forest.

I’ve read through your lists and have no real gripes about anything. Some numbers are outdated, but not by any considerable amount. I think having everything in one place is very helpful. Almost all of my measurements are documented on the trees database site https://treesdb.azurewebsites.net/Map. I normally enter trees there within a day of my visit. You’ve done well.

Elijah

ElijahW

Re: Robert H. Treman State Park

Post by ElijahW » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:35 pm

NTS,

I have a few more measurements to share from today’s trip, but I’ll open up with two additional ring counts I was able to get from fallen trees.

1. Northern Red Oak: 183 rings at 30.5’ above the base; average diameter where count was made was 1.75’
2. Northern Red Oak: ~190 rings at ~12’ (not certain about this; log was cut in sections) above the base; average diameter where count was made was 1.75’

Trees measured:

Eastern White Pine Pinus strobus

150.7’ x 7.59’ (new tree)

Red Pine Pinus resinosa

112.9’ x 5.59’ (new tree)

Pitch Pine Pinus rigida

98.8’ x 5.07’

American Sycamore Platanus occidentalis

142.4’ (new tree)

Tuliptree Liriodendron tulipifera

144.0’ (remeasure)

Cucumber Magnolia Magnolia acuminata

130.2’ x 7.93’ (remeasure)

Sugar Maple Acer saccharum

118.7’ x 5.42’ (new tree)

Red Maple Acer rubrum

113.3’ (new tree)

Black Maple Acer nigrum

106.7’ (new tree)

Striped Maple Acer pensylvanicum

46.3’ x 1.84’ (new tree)

Chinkapin Oak Quercus muehlenbergii

92.1’ (new tree)

Updated Rucker Index: 136.6’

I looked for the tallest Hemlock, hoping to remeasure it, but was unsuccessful. It doesn’t seem to be exactly where I think it should be, and the Covid rules (one-way trails, inaccessible areas, etc.) aren’t helping. As weird as this might sound, I located the tree while hiking in the opposite direction, and things now are more difficult to recognize. I’ll get it eventually, though.

The tallest Cucumber Magnolia didn’t decrease in circumference; I must have made an error on my original tape measurement. The tree looks great might keep putting on height for a while.

No sign of EAB was apparent within or around the gorge. Hopefully the White Ashes here and in neighboring Fischer Old Growth will hang on for a long time.

Elijah

Return to “New York”