Durand Eastman Park, Rochester

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

tsharp

Re: Durand Eastman Park, Rochester

Post by tsharp » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:00 pm

Elijah:
Maximums for Silverbell 'var, monticola: Girth 12.9' at Long Branch in GSMNP, Height 138.6' at Big Creek GSMNP. Will and/or Jess may have some updates on these figures. The one you measured is still amaxing.
The biggest known RM Doug-fir in WV 9.4' x 102' and is healthy. I have never measured a healthy looking White fir or Western Redcedar in WV.

ElijahW

Post by ElijahW » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:17 pm

Turner,

Thanks for responding. A second, smaller Silverbell is growing next to the one pictured, but it’s still over 90’ tall and probably 5 or 6’ around. I’d never seen the species before and am looking forward to the spring flowers.

Douglas Fir, like Blue Spruce, typically does poorly up here. Most trees look close to death for several years after reaching maturity and never really thrive. I think available moisture must be a big factor in this case, as Lake Ontario is just a stone’s throw away.

I’ll get some pictures of the standouts on my next visit. Being a hardwood-centric arboretum, Durand-Eastman isn’t the most attractive spot in the winter, but its variety is really interesting to me.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

ElijahW

Post by ElijahW » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:32 pm

NTS,

More Durand Eastman trees:

*Denotes NY height champion

Dutch Elm Ulmus x hollandica

117.3' x 16.38'*

European Linden Tilia x europaea

106.5' x 7.12'*
88.8'

Ponderosa Pine Pinus ponderosa

101.4' x 5.95'*

Dawn Redwood Metasequoia glyptostroboides

101' (Multiple stems)

Sweetgum Liquidambar styraciflua

97.4' x 9.79'
87' x 6.5'

Spindle Tree Euonymus bungeanus

60.8' x 7.45'*

Yew Taxus spp. (likely baccata)

53.6' x 4.38'*

Some images of Durand Eastman's Pine Valley:
Pine Valley
Pine Valley
Western hill of Pine Valley:  Western Redcedar, Eastern Redcedar, White Fir, Eastern White Pine, Sawara Cypress, etc.  Hard to see, but some Sourwood in there, as well.
Western hill of Pine Valley: Western Redcedar, Eastern Redcedar, White Fir, Eastern White Pine, Sawara Cypress, etc. Hard to see, but some Sourwood in there, as well.
Western Redcedars
Western Redcedars
Having trouble with ID on this tree.
Having trouble with ID on this tree.
Bark of unidentified tree
Bark of unidentified tree
Trunk and crown of unidentified tree (sunwashed)
Trunk and crown of unidentified tree (sunwashed)
The Dutch Elm appears to be a single tree, with two main stems joining just above ground level. The fusion is mostly covered by bark, but is distinguishable from one side.
Dutch Elm.  My tripod is on the right.  It’s roughly 5’6” tall.
Dutch Elm. My tripod is on the right. It’s roughly 5’6” tall.
Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

Rand

Post by Rand » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:34 pm

The unidentified tree might be Japanese Cedar, Cryptomeria japonica. Finding some cones might give you a better idea:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptomer ... Cryjap.jpg

ElijahW

Post by ElijahW » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:16 pm

Thanks, Rand.

After browsing some images of Cryptomeria japonica online and reading descriptions of the foliage, this may be the species. The trees at Durand Eastman seem to be much thinner and upright than what I found on the internet, but they well could be cultivars. The needle shape and color are a match. I didn't see any cones, but I'll look more closely next time.

Elijah

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:19 am

Elijah,

Please take a look at the attached Excel workbook, which projects diameter (and associated girth) and height measurements for the Dutch elm from your photo and information you included about tripod height.

The projected photo diameter is the stuff of dreams for Don Bertolette and me. Height projection isn't too bad.

Bob
Attachments
Elm.xlsx
(1.29 MiB) Downloaded 28 times
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Don

Post by Don » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:22 pm

Elijah-
I hadn't seen the tripod at first glance, and once I righted it, I couldn't make out exactly where the tripod stopped...does your tripod extend above the base where the legs meet, or did you just have the tripod set up with nothing mounted? Me thinks our error in height adjustment may be our mis-interpretation of your image.
-Don
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org

ElijahW

Post by ElijahW » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:42 pm

Don,

The tripod extends about a foot above the black plastic piece where the legs intersect. It is very hard to see; the silver metal and black plastic blend in with the background. The photo was taken with my iPhone 6 and added to my original post via edit. I think this is the reason for its sideways orientation. All other photos were taken with a digital camera and uploaded with a Windows laptop.

Bob,

I’m impressed with the accuracy of your Excel workbook. I don’t have time tonight, but in the next couple of days I’ll try this out myself. Very nifty!

Elijah

ElijahW

Post by ElijahW » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:04 pm

Bob,

I played with your Excel workbook a little. The tripod was too faint for me to clearly make out both top and bottom. I think your determination was the best that could be done with that photo. If I were to take more photos for the purpose of measuring trees in Excel, the reference object needs to be much clearer - a person next to the tree would be a much better target.

Kouta,

If you read this, I'm curious about how large Ulmus x hollandica gets in Europe. The maximum height on the Monumental Trees site is 34.8 meters, a tree measured by Jeroen Philippona in the Netherlands https://www.monumentaltrees.com/en/nld/ ... huispoort/. This tree in Rochester is not quite 1 meter taller, or approximately 35.7 meters. The combination of height and girth on the Rochester tree is greater than any Ulmus americana I've seen, but would you consider it a large hollandica?

Elijah

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:29 pm

Elijah,

Ideally, we would take, say, an 18-inch ruler with us into the field and put orange flagging tape at each end for visibility. Attaching the ruler to a tree, fence post, whatever, as a reference object of known length gives us flexibility beyond having someone stand by a tree or chose a makeshift object.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Return to “New York”