LiDAR for Zoar Valley MUA

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#11)  Re: LiDAR for Zoar Valley MUA

Postby M.W.Taylor » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:56 pm

ElijahW wrote:Thanks, Erik.  I must have been looking at the map wrong.  This may be a new tree, then.

Elijah

It is possible the software over-estimated that tree. In rare cases with two trees that are very close together the software will assume the entire cluster to be one tree and hence measure to the ground level from the low ground point of the cluster (assuming the trunk to be in the middle of it). If that is two trees close together it could be over-estimated. I usually can tell there are two trees together by looking at a side profile of the point cloud. However the Zoar Valley LiDAR is an older set that has low resolution and virtually no trunk points were captured. It is most likely a single 150' class tree though, but possible it might be a glitch.

Attached is the area on the boundary of the LiDAR where you found a 161' tulip. I do see one hit that is nearly 162'. And another further to the north that is 155'. See attached height ramp map.
Attachments
zoar-161.jpg
red = 120ft and white is 150ft.
M.W.Taylor

Has Liked: 33 times
Has Been Liked: 368 times
Print view this post

#12)  Re: LiDAR for Zoar Valley MUA

Postby Erik Danielsen » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:13 pm

It looks like that 155' hit is the tree I measured to 161.9', seems to be the exact same spot when I check the coordinates. The 162' hit on this tile is further south than I traveled, and does look like it's right on the edge of a cliff, but I'll try to check it out when I get a chance. The whole area is just buried in snow right now, so it's actually a little easier to get up and down in the canyon with a good pair of snowshoes.
Erik Danielsen

Has Liked: 244 times
Has Been Liked: 312 times
Print view this post

Previous

Return to New York