Pharaoh Lake Wilderness, Essex & Warren Counties, NY

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  Pharaoh Lake Wilderness, Essex & Warren Counties, NY

Postby ElijahW » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:46 am

NTS,

I'll try out Mario Vaden's suggestion and start with the summary first.  

Pharaoh Lake Wilderness:  Long Swing/Blue Trail (NY-74 to Crane Pond Trail)

Eastern White Pine

154.6' x 11'2"
150.8' x 13'3"
143.8' x 10'11"
141' x 8'1"

Eastern Hemlock

119.5' x 6'9"
116.2' x 7'6"

Red Pine

118.6' x 5'1"

Arborvitae

84.9' x 4'7"

White Ash

120.1' x 7'6"

Red Maple

106.4' x 6'2"

Yellow Birch

100.1' x 7'4"

The two hemlocks, white ash, yellow birch, and red maple grow grow within site of each other in a depression next to a small stream.  Sugar maple and basswood also likely exceed 100' nearby, but I didn't get to any.  

At least one other red pine is over 110' in height.  The white cedar is probably not the tallest I saw; I wouldn't be surprised to find a 90-footer.  

The Long Swing trail has at least three additional 140'+ White pines, and possibly several more.  Bob Leverett's 150' pine at Crane Pond is in the same general area.

My plan is to eventually cover as much of the Pharaoh Lake area as possible, and I'll update this thread as I make more visits.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

For this message the author ElijahW has received Likes - 6:
a_blooming_botanist, Bart Bouricius, bbeduhn, Erik Danielsen, Larry Tucei, tsharp
ElijahW

Has Liked: 209 times
Has Been Liked: 268 times
Print view this post

#2)  Re: Pharaoh Lake Wilderness, Essex & Warren Counties, NY

Postby dbhguru » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:16 am

Elijah,

Great stuff. Do you want me to enter these beauties in the database? I could build an import file and send it to you for approval. Say the word.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and Executive Director
Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
dbhguru

Has Liked: 4 times
Has Been Liked: 1087 times
Print view this post

#3)  Re: Pharaoh Lake Wilderness, Essex & Warren Counties, NY

Postby ElijahW » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:26 am

Bob,

Sure.  I'd appreciate that.  The two tallest white pines were included in the first dataset I sent you.  Thank you.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks
ElijahW

Print view this post

#4)  Re: Pharaoh Lake Wilderness, Essex & Warren Counties, NY

Postby ElijahW » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:50 pm

NTS,

Short Swing Trail (NY-74 to Lilypad Pond; AKA Tubmill Marsh Trail) 4/30/17

American Basswood

107.4'
99.2' x 7'

Red Pine

115.3' x 4'3"

Eastern White Pine

151' x 6'10"
148.7' x 9'7"
142.3' x 8'7"
139.7' x 10'4"

I spent several hours today hiking the Short Swing Trail in the Pharaoh Lake Wilderness (ironically Short Swing is longer than Long Swing in my previous post).  Although having a less-disturbed appearance than the Long Swing Trail, the average tree ages were likely similar, in the 150-200 year range.  A handful of older-looking hardwoods (Sugar Maple and Yellow Birch) grew next to the trail, but I only found a single very old White Pine snag(below):

DSC00897.JPG

13'7" Dead relict White Pine

The tallest White Pine looked to be about 150 years old, and is situated very well for future growth.  Many of its neighbors, though nearly as tall and appearing relatively healthy, had multiple leaders and will be more susceptible to breakage as they age.  

A short distance south of the Rt. 74 trailhead, a very attractive group of White Pines in the 200-year age class sits in a wet area with Balsam Fir, Arborvitae, and Red Maple.  These trees, though not quite reaching 140', averaged around 10' in girth and had very clean boles.  At one time, this little spot must have harbored some dandies.

Some more photos from my afternoon:

DSC00893.JPG

Tubmill Marsh

DSC00892.JPG

Hobblebush leafing out

DSC00895.JPG

Red Trillium in bloom

Elijah

Bob, you have my permission to include these measurements in the VT database; however, I plan to continue adding to this thread and it may work better to wait.

For this message the author ElijahW has received Likes - 3:
a_blooming_botanist, Erik Danielsen, Larry Tucei
ElijahW

Print view this post

#5)  Re: Pharaoh Lake Wilderness, Essex & Warren Counties, NY

Postby dbhguru » Mon May 01, 2017 1:24 pm

Elijah,

Thanks. I'll wait and let you enter them if you are comfortable doing it. I'll always be available to help if needed.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and Executive Director
Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
dbhguru

Has Liked: 4 times
Has Been Liked: 1087 times
Print view this post

#6)  Re: Pharaoh Lake Wilderness, Essex & Warren Counties, NY

Postby ElijahW » Sun May 07, 2017 1:25 am

NTS,

Pharaoah Lake Trail (Crane Pond to Pharaoh Lake) 5/6/17

White Pine

137.1' x 10'3"
133'

Red Pine

107.3' x 6'11"

Red Spruce

99'
98' x 6'10"

Tamarack

104.1'

Arborvitae

86.3' x 5'6"

Sugar Maple

119.4' x 9'5"

American Basswood

100.3' x 10'4"

Yellow Birch

93.5' x 10'4"

Hiking south from Crane Pond and its several 140+' White pines, I expected to find some dandies on the way to Pharaoh Lake, but that didn't happen.  Though this trail had many pines in the same age class, they were generally less than 130' tall and 8-10' in circumference.  

All the hardwoods grew on a east-facing slope between 1400 and 1500' in elevation.  Some trees in this area appear to have significant age, especially the scattered Yellow birches.  White ash and Basswood may exceed 120' farther downslope.  

A few of the Red pines on this trail, though not particularly large, look very old.  Other than the impressive hardwood slope, I think the soil is shallow and of average quality.  

Approaching Pharaoh Lake, I ran across several 90'+ Red spruces, and I look forward to checking them out soon.

DSC00913.JPG

High water along Crane Pond Rd.

DSC00900.JPG

Crane Pond & Pharaoh Mountain

DSC00906.JPG

Orange peel fungus

DSC00910.JPG

Spring Peeper

DSC00911.JPG

93.5' x 10'4" Yellow Birch

As a bonus, a 134' White pine along the Sacandaga River, town of Wells, Siamese Ponds Wilderness Area:

DSC00898.JPG

Elijah

For this message the author ElijahW has received Likes - 2:
bbeduhn, InglesLuke
ElijahW

Print view this post

#7)  Re: Pharaoh Lake Wilderness, Essex & Warren Counties, NY

Postby Erik Danielsen » Sun May 07, 2017 10:33 pm

That sugar maple height is very impressive for an adirondack site. That's also two new high bars for NY Thuja occidentalis in one thread! Are you brushing up against the species' maximum known height yet?
Erik Danielsen

Has Liked: 244 times
Has Been Liked: 312 times
Print view this post

#8)  Re: Pharaoh Lake Wilderness, Essex & Warren Counties, NY

Postby ElijahW » Mon May 08, 2017 6:09 am

Erik,

I'm not sure what the maximum is for White cedar, but I think this is close.  Getting into the 90s is likely, if not in Pharaoh Lake, then probably further north in the High Peaks.

Elijah
ElijahW

Print view this post

#9)  Re: Pharaoh Lake Wilderness, Essex & Warren Counties, NY

Postby ElijahW » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:43 pm

NTS,

Pharaoh Lake Trail (Beaver Pond Rd. trailhead north to north end of Pharaoh Lake)

Red Pine

117.3 x 4'8"

Pitch Pine

102.4' x 5'8"
98.8'
77.1' x 6'3"

Aside from the surprise appearance of Pitch Pine, this stretch of trail is very short on tree heights.  I didn't record any White Pines over 125', which was disappointing; plenty of Whites were in the proper age class (125-200 years) to attain heights comparable with previously reported on trails, but this area seems to be height-challenged.  I didn't encounter any section of forest I would consider old-growth, but a good portion of the trail-side forest seems to date from the Civil War era.  One larger than average cut Hemlock log had 150 discernible growth rings about 30' from the base, indicating an age likely close to 200 years.  I don't know much about the appearance of age in Pitch Pine, but my guess is that the group of trees I found are between 150 and 200 years old.

The 117'+ Red Pine is in a plantation near the southern end of the Pharaoh Lake trailhead, probably established in the 1930s.  This tree was very near the trail, and a more careful search would probably turn up a 120-footer.  Unfortunately, this same plantation also has a lot of Scots Pine, which seem to be nearing the end of their life cycle.

Since this post is short on tree measurements, I'll supplement with some wildflower photos.  

DSC00936.JPG

Starflower

DSC00943.JPG

Canada mayflower

DSC00947.JPG

Bunchberry dogwood

DSC00950.JPG

Bluebead lily

DSC00951.JPG

Painted trillium (many in bloom on Pharaoh Mt. summit)

The Painted trillium is definitely my favorite.  Here's another shot of the High Peaks from the Pharaoh Mt. summit:

DSC00952.JPG

Looking west from Pharaoh Mt. summit toward the High Peaks region

Attached is a PDF of what I've surveyed so far.

mappharaohlk06042017.pdf

(1.31 MiB) Downloaded 17 times

Elijah

For this message the author ElijahW has received Likes :
a_blooming_botanist
ElijahW

Print view this post

#10)  Re: Pharaoh Lake Wilderness, Essex & Warren Counties, NY

Postby a_blooming_botanist » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:11 pm

Elijah,

Wow! You’ve found some great trees up there! I spent the other weekend camping on Putnam Pond with some friends. Even though I had my rangefinder with me, between swatting at black flies and doing fun things with my friends I wasn’t able to properly measure any of the trees. There were some good looking white pines, and probably other species, on the north side of Putts Pond Rd leading to the campground and pond. I may be going back again later in the summer, in which case I’ll measure them if you haven’t already. ☺

Keep these great posts coming!

Jared
a_blooming_botanist

Has Liked: 103 times
Has Been Liked: 58 times
Print view this post

Next

Return to New York