Allegany State Park

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  Allegany State Park

Postby Merchant » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:41 pm

Greetings,  I am 52 years old and have been visiting Allegany State Park since I was  child.  I live only 20 min away in Jamestown NY.  The park is very special to my family and I am called home to it's forest every summer.  The past few years (since I started hunting old growth sites)  I started wandering off the grid to explore pockets of old growth.  At 65k acres it will take a few more years to cover them all.  I am now retracing my steps to begin measuring a few sites that were quite tall.  What spawned my interest was  "The Sierra Club Guide to the Ancient Forests of the Northeast".  I would like to thank the late great Bruce Kershner who sparked my passion and Robert Leverett for his continued passion, Blozan and everyone else connected with this site.  I have been hiking, reading and studying articles in my spare time for 4 years now and am taking the next step to document sites, girths, and tree heights.  I feel honored to join the ranks of other tree hunters I have read about and hope my now feeble skills will hone with time.  There is a champion in there somewhere.  (not to mention Lily Dale, but that is another story my new found friend Erik will tell)  
What's most unique about Allegany state park is the forest is the oldest in the state.  It was the only part of NY not covered by the last glacier some 12k to 14k years ago.
What caught my eye was page 102 in the book that said  "Allegany State Park has another (besides the big basin) 13 smaller ancient groves and likely even more ancient forest yet to be documented."   Yea Baby!  the quest began and off I went.   Although, as I surf the internet there is little reference to these sites.  I hope to contribute to this site with some data that will spark more interest in the park.  
How do you attach a picture?
Merchant

Has Liked: 0 times
Has Been Liked: 9 times
Print view this post

#2)  Re: Allegany State Park

Postby greif » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:07 am

I visited Allegany last winter and deciphered Bruces directions for the old growth patch at the old stone bridge (fairly near the office) and hiked a bit in the snow to the left (easy) side of the bridge.  The thing is- it looked nothing like old growth areas I have seen before. The book did mention that the other side of the bridge (along the creek) was also old growth, and it looked more promising, but not too negotiable in the snow.

Did you take a look at this spot?  It was mostly brush and smaller trees- didn't see a single big one.
gr
greif

Has Been Liked: 1 times
Print view this post

#3)  Re: Allegany State Park

Postby Merchant » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:03 pm

If you head east of the bridge there are some large white pines, black walnut, and a few  and red maple.  The white pines are fairly tall 100+ feet.  The main concentration are along the creek.  Judging from the rockiness of the terrain, the root systems seem unstable therefore the larger ones have fallen.  Hoping to measure the pines and photograph soon.

For this message the author Merchant has received Likes :
edfrank
Merchant

Has Been Liked: 9 times
Print view this post

Return to New York