Old Growth Areas near the Finger Lakes?

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  Old Growth Areas near the Finger Lakes?

Postby greif » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:17 am

I will be taking a trip toward the end of the month through the Finger Lakes and would like to stop  at some new old growth spots. Last year I visited these:
Smith Woods in Trumansburg  (nice!)

Fischer Tract , part of Cornell Plantations, Newfield NY (Only the center seems to be old growth)

Robert Treman State Park- (nice stand, Red Pine I think. Get on the road/trail from the West end (not really shown on the map), which is close to the parking area at the back end of a picnic area..... much less steep than the other end)

So what new places can I stop at this year?
Thanks,
Gary
greif

Has Liked: 0 times
Has Been Liked: 1 times
Print view this post

#2)  Re: Old Growth Areas near the Finger Lakes?

Postby PAwildernessadvocate » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:46 am

I can't think of any specific old-growth sites in the Finger Lakes, but if you spend some time exploring some of the steep gorges at the southern end of some of the largest finger lakes (Cayuga, Seneca, Canandaigua, maybe Keuka, etc.) you're bound to find some pretty big trees.
"There is no better way to save biodiversity than by preserving habitat, and no better habitat, species for species, than wilderness." --Edward O. Wilson
PAwildernessadvocate

Has Liked: 166 times
Has Been Liked: 72 times
Print view this post

#3)  Re: Old Growth Areas near the Finger Lakes?

Postby ElijahW » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:24 am

Gary,

The only other old-growth forest that comes to mind on the south end of the lakes is in Watkins Glen.  If you're willing to make the trek up to the Syracuse area, however, and maybe a little beyond, Tom Howard has compiled an excellent list of places of interest:  http://www.ents-bbs.org/viewtopic.php?f=105&t=1054.  Green Lakes State Park is really the gem of the area, a forest with many old, massive trees.  Wherever you decide to visit, enjoy!

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks
ElijahW

Has Liked: 211 times
Has Been Liked: 272 times
Print view this post

#4)  Re: Old Growth Areas near the Finger Lakes?

Postby greif » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:22 pm

re: Watkins Glen
Is that a patch of OG forest, or just random trees in the glen? Been to the Glen, but not any forest around there.
greif

Print view this post

#5)  Re: Old Growth Areas near the Finger Lakes?

Postby ElijahW » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:51 pm

Gary,

You're right about the Glen itself.  Probably some old trees can be found there, but I don't remember seeing anything really interesting either.  What I found impressive was the forest surrounding Punch Bowl Lake, referred to in Bob Leverett and Bruce Kershner's The Sierra Club Guide to the Ancient Forests of the Northeast. Here are the directions I used to get to the old growth, quoting from the book.  The starting point is the entrance to Watkins Glen State Park.

Drive north on Route 14 for several blocks and turn left on Route 409 (Upper Glen Road).  Drive up the hill and across the railroad tracks (at 1.7 miles).  After another half mile, the road (now called Station Road) comes to a small grass clearing next to a short white guardrail, where you can park.  The trail is on the left at a green No Hunting sign.

Walk down the woods trail from the road.  You'll see impressive trees immediately.  At the bottom, the trail curves to the right onto a peninsula jutting into Punch Bowl Lake.

I hope that helps.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks
ElijahW

Has Liked: 211 times
Has Been Liked: 272 times
Print view this post

#6)  Re: Old Growth Areas near the Finger Lakes?

Postby greif » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:25 pm

Excellent! I will give this spot near the glen at try! Thanks very much.
Gary
greif

Print view this post

#7)  Re: Old Growth Areas near the Finger Lakes?

Postby Rand » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:22 pm

I visited Green Lakes last year and got some nice pictures of the tuliptree cathedral:

viewtopic.php?f=105&t=2419&p=20246&hilit=Green+Lakes#p20246
Rand

Has Liked: 272 times
Has Been Liked: 377 times
Print view this post

#8)  Re: Old Growth Areas near the Finger Lakes?

Postby Chris » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:34 pm

Little west of "proper" Finger Lakes, but there is the famous Zoar Valley.
Chris

Has Liked: 144 times
Has Been Liked: 61 times
Print view this post

Return to New York