Green Lakes State Park, New York

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#21)  Re: Green Lakes State Park, New York

Postby ElijahW » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:07 pm

NTS,

The witch hazel in question I measured this morning to 41.0' x 10", currently the tallest known in NY, I believe.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

For this message the author ElijahW has received Likes :
Jess Riddle
ElijahW

Has Liked: 211 times
Has Been Liked: 272 times
Print view this post

#22)  Re: Green Lakes State Park, New York

Postby ElijahW » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:02 pm

NTS,

I did some measuring at Green Lakes this afternoon, and have a few updates to share.  All previous measurements I’ve made here were done with my old Nikon 440 and clinometer, so I was expecting some different results this time with my Trupulse.  A couple of trees earned promotions, but most ended up slightly shorter than before.  Here’s a list of trees measured:

Tuliptree

150.0’ x 10.45’ (new to the list)

Bitternut Hickory

140.8’ x 5.07’ (previously 141.8’)
138.7’ x 8.83’ (previously 139.8’)

Sugar Maple

129.2’ x 6.27’ (previously 131.6’; I think the top recently broke on this tree)

American Basswood

132.4’ x 7.78’ (previously 133.0’)

American Beech

125.2’ x 6.04’ (previously 125.8’)

Eastern Cottonwood

125.1’ x 7.83’ (last measured by Jess Riddle to 117’ in 2011)

The Rucker Height Index remains nearly identical, at 131.7’.

I’ll continue re-measuring trees with the Trupulse as time and weather allow.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

For this message the author ElijahW has received Likes - 2:
Larry Tucei, mdavie
ElijahW

Print view this post

#23)  Re: Green Lakes State Park, New York

Postby dbhguru » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:34 am

Elijah,

Great job keeping this extraordinary site on the radar. Are you putting these and other NY measurements into the VA Tech database? If not, I'd be happy to help.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and Executive Director
Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
dbhguru

Has Liked: 4 times
Has Been Liked: 1091 times
Print view this post

#24)  Re: Green Lakes State Park, New York

Postby ElijahW » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:47 pm

Thanks, Bob.  Yes, except for the cottonwood and tuliptree, these are already in the database. I do need to update the dimensions, though.

Elijah
ElijahW

Print view this post

#25)  Re: Green Lakes State Park, New York

Postby Erik Danielsen » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:45 pm

Verily, the price we pay for commitment to accuracy is to shave the margins of our height record specimens when we upgrade to more accurate equipment! The Chestnut Oak and White Oak at Inwood Hill were similar for me.

For some species, Green Lakes and Zoar are incredibly neck-and-neck. The revised Sugar Maple height puts two at Zoar slightly taller. The margin is slim in the other direction on Basswood, Hemlock and Beech as well. Each has one 140+ bitternut plus one other just a touch short of that milestone. White Ash at Green Lakes isn't far behind, though the sheer number of 135-139' specimens at Zoar is unusual. Tuliptree and Sycamore are the only really big margins. Considering Zoar's dramatic topography, the trees of Green Lakes are all the more impressive.
Erik Danielsen

Has Liked: 248 times
Has Been Liked: 321 times
Print view this post

Previous

Return to New York