Long Point State Park

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  Long Point State Park

Postby Erik Danielsen » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:43 pm

Long Point State Park in Chautauqua County is a big-tree site known to NTS, thanks to previous visits by Dale, Bob, and others. I've visited previously with Chris Merchant, to see the big cottonwoods and an interesting patch of old woods disjunct from the main old growth in the northeast corner. I made a trip to Long Point again on Sunday August 13 to measure a few specific trees and then did a bit more scouting in the deep canopy. It's not feasible to do much serious measuring in here until the leaves are off, but this session did turn up some exciting numbers. Here's the full sheet:

longpointdata.jpg

longpointdata.jpg (70.18 KiB) Viewed 153 times

The 129.2' black cherry is near or at the geotag Dale provided for the 130.1' tree in 2006, and its increased girth seems appropriate for 11 years growth, so it may be the same tree- however there are at least a half dozen of similar stature all around it, so it may be one of those instead. This was not measured at this time as the stand's tallest- just the only one I could get a view to the top of. It seems probable that Long Point still has 130+ cherries to show us.

IMGP8371.jpg

The 129.2' tall black cherry, not exactly a monstrous tree but it sure does stretch up there!

The 17.1'cbh 109.5' tall Northern Red Oak is undoubtedly the same tree that was measured to 16.8'cbh and 111.3' tall in 2006. It may measure taller after leaf-off. It is honestly the most impressive red oak, subjectively, I have ever met. From a distance I was sure it was a tulip. Speaking of tulips, I didn't get satisfying windows on any but one or two should get over 130'.

IMGP8349.jpg

The 17/1'cbh forest-grown Red Oak, an incredibly impressive tree! I'm at the base for scale if you look closely.

None of the ash are in great shape, but they're still there. The tallest bitternut is in a different location than the one Dale measured to around the same height in 2006, but I think I also encountered that specimen and failed to measure it. Cukes may top 120'- there are a lot of them in very good shape. One of the biggest discrepancies from the 2006 measurements are sugar and red maples and red oak all getting to much taller heights, with a couple red oaks likely to break 120' with the leaves off.

IMGP8277.jpg

The strange, swollen Cucumber Magnolia.

I made sure to measure the bizarre hershey's kiss-looking cucumber magnolia out on the point. There was a large burl protruding right at 4.5' above midslope, so I wrapped at 4.5' from the slope's low point and again from the slope's high point and averaged the two to get the final girth of 13.25'. It's not the most attractive cuke at this site by far, but it sure is unique.

IMGP8329.jpg

The large radiant White Oak along the road.

The very large spreading white oak is one of several such open-grown specimens scattered throughout the park, and was measured as a tree of interest for the Deep Roots project in particular. Its maximum spread of 120' is impressive, but its odd location on a slope just above the main road makes it surprisingly inconspicuous for such a large tree. The radiant red oak was a nice new find for me. Nearby is an interpretive sign that specifically mentions Black Oak as a typical species in the modern forest at Long Point, which is bizarre- there are no black oak that I've seen there at all.

IMGP8305.jpg

Unexpected radiant Northern Red Oak. 16.4'cbh.

I hope in the fall or winter I'll be able to take a day or two to do some serious work on this site with Elijah, Dale, Chris, and/or anyone else who might want to join in. I think it definitely has yet to be fully accounted for.

For this message the author Erik Danielsen has received Likes :
PAwildernessadvocate
Erik Danielsen

Has Liked: 239 times
Has Been Liked: 292 times
Print view this post

#2)  Re: Long Point State Park

Postby Matt Markworth » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:03 pm

Erik,

Wow, that forest-grown red oak! What charisma!

It's cool that it has several substantial black cherries. I usually see the really nice ones as just one nice black cherry in a mixed forest.

Matt
Matt Markworth

Has Liked: 1064 times
Has Been Liked: 814 times
Print view this post

#3)  Re: Long Point State Park

Postby djluthringer » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:42 am

Erik,

Great job.  Long Point is a really nice site, that I've only lightly sampled.  The main grove you were in with the black cherries, then the associated flat near the lake to the east with the fat cottonwoods is where I've spent the bulk of my time.  The fat cottonwoods is what drew me back several times.  I was first turned on to the whole area by Bruce Kershner and Gerry Horowitz.  What a crew we were...

Adding your new finds/re-measures, the Historical Rucker Index for Long Point State Park stands at 121.39:

Species               CBH   Height   Measurer

white ash            4.9   130.8      Dale
black cherry        9.4   130.1      Dale
tuliptree             9.7    126.5     Dale
bitternut hickory 7.3    126.1     Dale
cottonwood        17.9   125.4     Dale
N. red oak          11.6   119        Erik
cucumbertree      7.1    117.5    Erik
sugar maple         8.9   115.5     Erik
red maple            7.2   114        Erik
silver maple        7      109        Erik

And yes, I've yet to see one black oak in the park...

Dale
Last edited by djluthringer on Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author djluthringer has received Likes :
PAwildernessadvocate
djluthringer

Has Liked: 0 times
Has Been Liked: 47 times
Print view this post

#4)  Re: Long Point State Park

Postby Bart Bouricius » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:44 am

Very cool post, especially the Cherry, Red Oak and Magnolias.
Bart Bouricius

Has Liked: 108 times
Has Been Liked: 295 times
Print view this post

#5)  Re: Long Point State Park

Postby RayA » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:20 pm

Erik,

Spectacular red oak! Wow!
RayA

Has Liked: 13 times
Has Been Liked: 82 times
Print view this post

#6)  Re: Long Point State Park

Postby Erik Danielsen » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:03 am

Dale, the 115.5' tree is Sugar Maple, not Silver, so I think the historic rucker would come to 121.75 as follows:

Species               CBH   Height   Measurer

white ash            4.9   130.8      Dale
black cherry        9.4   130.1      Dale
tuliptree             9.7    126.5     Dale
bitternut hickory 7.3    126.1     Dale
cottonwood        17.9   125.4     Dale
N. red oak          11.6   119        Erik
cucumbertree      7.1    117.5    Erik
silver maple         8.9   115.5     Erik
red maple            7.2   114        Erik
silver maple        8.4    112.6     Dale

The classic range map for Black Oak shows most of Chautauqua County as a gap in its range, and the same goes for almost every other oak except red and white- it's an interesting distribution pattern. White is sporadically distributed throughout mostly the uplands of the county, with only red oak being ubiquitous.

Matt, black cherry on the allegheny plateau really shows its stuff! Almost all old forests here have numerous columnar black cherries, with Lilydale perhaps having the most impressive collection (even if not quite the absolute tallest or widest in the area).
Erik Danielsen

Has Liked: 239 times
Has Been Liked: 292 times
Print view this post

#7)  Re: Long Point State Park

Postby djluthringer » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:36 pm

Woops,

Got it.  Corrected the previous entry.  Sorry about the typo.

Dale
djluthringer

Has Liked: 0 times
Has Been Liked: 47 times
Print view this post

#8)  Re: Long Point State Park

Postby PAwildernessadvocate » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:19 am

Long Point State Park is beautiful.

We launched a "Viking longship" (made out of fiberglass) there last summer!

Norseman2.jpg

Cnaz0b-WcAAseKX.jpg_large.jpeg

"There is no better way to save biodiversity than by preserving habitat, and no better habitat, species for species, than wilderness." --Edward O. Wilson
PAwildernessadvocate

Has Liked: 164 times
Has Been Liked: 72 times
Print view this post

Return to New York