Western Expanses, NM

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Western Expanses, NM

Post by dbhguru » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:31 pm

NTS,

Here are some images from the Taos Plateau and south end of the San Luis Valley from US 285 in northern New Mexico. I don't get a cooped up feeling looking across the great expanse of space.
WesternExpanses-1.jpg
WesternExpanses-2.jpg
The next image is of Mount San Antonio, a 10,908-foot cinder cone. It presents quite a spectacle as you drive through the great expanse.
WesternExpanses-3.jpg
The cloud layer intrigued me.
WesternExpanses-4.jpg
More to come.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

James Parton

Re: Western Expanses

Post by James Parton » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:46 pm

How high is the Taos plateau? That cinder cone is easily higher than any Appalachian peak.
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:50 pm

Bob,

Even if it costs you a tree day, you need to see Carlsbad Caverns if you have never been there. Take the full tour hiking down from the entrance and around the Big Room. Watch the bat flight. It is one of the don't miss wonders of the world. There are neat tree associations and disjunct tree populations in McKittrick Canyon in Guadeloupe National Park a few miles farther south.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

jamesrobertsmith

Re: Western Expanses, NM

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:22 pm

I want to hike up one of those cinder cones and walk around in the caldera. My father-in-law did that at one of the cinder cones in New Mexico. I don't know the name of the cone he hiked, or even if it has a name. But he brought back photos.

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:54 pm

Robert,

If it was in northeastern NM, it may have been Capulin National Monument. You descend into the caldera in that one.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

Rand

Post by Rand » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:55 am

James Parton wrote:How high is the Taos plateau? That cinder cone is easily higher than any Appalachian peak.
I quick trip to Google earth shows ~8300' in elevation around the base of the mountain.

Chris

Post by Chris » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:04 am

Off topic, but the first two are great examples of fenceline comparison photos. Great things for getting an idea of the over grazing common in lots (most?) places in the west.

Don

Post by Don » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:14 am

Bob-
Don't know where you are now, but if you're in NM and have the time, check out Valle Caldera National Preserve, not far from Santa Fe...last I knew, Jeff Cross managed it...great guy, was the Science Center Director at Grand Canyon NP during my time there. Great place, wild life is it's specialty, kind of a biogeographical island.
-Don

dbhguru wrote:Robert,

If it was in northeastern NM, it may have been Capulin National Monument. You descend into the caldera in that one.

Bob
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:56 am

Don,

We're presently in Manila, Utah at Flaming Gorge. We'll be in Pocatello, ID tonight. Got lots of images to post.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

Return to “New Mexico”