Villanueva Cottonwood, NM

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Villanueva Cottonwood, NM

Post by dbhguru » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:19 pm

NTS,

Monica and I made a discovery today going to Villanueva. A cottonwood near the Pecos River tops all I've measured. Take a look.
VillanuevaCottonwood-2.jpg
VillanuevaCottonwood-1.jpg
This sucker is 33.3 feet around. Its height is only 51.5 feet, but who cares. It has enormous limbs. There are other large cottonwoods in a local state park, but none to challenge this one. My guess is that it is a Rio Grande cottonwood. I'll have more images when I get a faster Internet connection.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

edfrank

Re: Villanueva Cottonwood, NM

Post by edfrank » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:34 pm

Neat tree Bob!! I wish I was on the trip with you.

NTS, It would be good to include the state designation in the title of the trip reports if possible. If for example there was a post about the Jake Swamp Pine, as if we ever see any on that subject, it would be good if it said MTSF, MA for example so people looking at the title only will know where the post is about.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

RyanLeClair

Post by RyanLeClair » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:47 pm

OMG! it reminds me of the giant Fremont cottonwood in AZ.

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:19 pm

Bob, OMG! 33' what a whopper of a Cottonwood! That tree has been around for a while. Isn't it exciting finding something like that when you least expect it. It looks like a Live Oak, awesome tree! Bob, I looked up the NM State Champ your tree has a larger CBH! Rio Grande Cottonwood STATE CHAMPION Populus deltoides subspecies wislizeni CBH-379" --H-111.5' S- 64' Points 470.9 Jesse Russell 5/7/10 San Juan County, City AXTEC. A link to the NM Big Tree Listing. http://www.emnrd.state.nm.us/FD/bigtree ... es2012.pdf Larry

Will Blozan

Post by Will Blozan » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:24 pm

Bob,

Nice tree! I vote for a coppice though...

Will

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:03 am

Will,

For a cottonwood to get to such a size out here, I think some coppicing is a given. I see other large, old cottonwoods on banks and their forms are always the same. It is one tree though. I'll send more images when I get a better Internet connection.

Bon
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

Joe

Post by Joe » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:00 am

whenever I see such huge trees, I fantasize having a time machine so I could go back before the palefaces showed up on this continent- then, I'd go back before the red men showed up, because I'm sure things were way different before them, too....

Joe

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:42 pm

It reminds me of a Silver Maple, though vastly larger than any I have seen or measured.
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:17 pm

That sucker is ginormous! The girth is almost as great as the height. Did you get a spread?

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:40 pm

Brian,

The cottonwood's crown stretches out over water in one direction and over the road in another. I didn't want to take the time, but 65 feet is a probable.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

Return to “New Mexico”